Fender Bolts - 1965 Sport Fury.

Tap your holes out, chase the threads, or use a tap & die set to figure out what the thread is. The holes really should be 1/4-20. Handy is a set of socket type tap drivers, a lifesaver in many cases.

Not too many mystery threads on American cars besides some odd large threads like seat belt bolts.

Hex head "bolts" starts at 1/4-20, 5/16-18, 3/8-16, rarely 7/16-14 but I've seen it on exhaust flanges, moving on to 1/2-13. Some use of fine threads, such as 1/2-20 on oil drain plug.

Some bigger bolts underneath, K member bolts must be at least 1" thread size.

A torque chart.

Torque specifications are for stock factory type bolts with light engine oil applied to the threads and the underside of the bolt head. Other lubrications offer reduced friction and increased bolt tension, and will affect the torque figure. If using aftermarket performance bolts, like ARP, you should follow the recommended torque specifications of the aftermarket bolts.
FastenerTorqueThread Size
Camshaft Lockbolt357/16-14
Carburetor to Manifold Nut75/16-24
Clutch Housing Bolt303/8-16
Connecting Rod Nut – Plain453/8-24
Crankshaft Bolt (Vibration Damper)1353/4-16
Cylinder Head Bolt 273-318851/2-13
Cylinder Head Bolt 340-360951/2-13
Flywheel Cover Bolt100 in/lbs1/4-20
Flywheel Housing to Block Bolt50
Flywheel to Crankshaft Bolt557/16-20
Fuel Pump to Block303/8-16
Intake Manifold Bolt353/8-16
Main Bearing Cap Bolt851/2-13
Oil Pan Drain Plug201/2-20
Oil Pan Bolt155/16-20
Oil Pump Cover Bolt95 in/lbs1/4-20
Oil Pump to Block Bolt353/8-16
Rocker Shaft Bolt303/8-16
Spark Plug3014mm
Timing Cover Bolt (cast)303/8-16
Torque Converter to Flexplate Bolt270 in/lbs5/16-24
Vibration Damper Pulley Bolt200 in/lbs5/16-20
Water Pump to Block Bolt303/8-16
The ones I have the problem is the ones in the body. Like front fender to grill area. And the part that holds the hood latch on it.

Probably just rusty. Gently run appropriate tap through the holes and you should be good to go.

I would only use USA made taps/dies, and go easy. Back off when appropriate and clean chips out of the flutes. A little cutting oil won't hurt but for light cleanup usually not needed.

Run corresponding bolts through a die, and you should be able to spin them in by hand til they seat.

These are the inner fender bolts? I know I have some question is can I get my hands on them quickly.

Some of the bolts are not 1/4 I am trying to put my 1965 Sport Fury back together after a botched restore also, I have found 1/4" and they will not fit in the holes so be careful. I still have not figured out what size the holes are as of yet
Go to your local hardware store, Ace or Hanks, to the bolt section. They have charts to size both the male and female for bolts. It is at least a way to learn what you have. After all my trouble, I finally found what I needed here in Phoenix (Surprise) and they are 15 minutes from the house and owners very helpful and knowledgeable.

Go to your local hardware store, Ace or Hanks, to the bolt section. They have charts to size both the male and female for bolts. It is at least a way to learn what you have. After all my trouble, I finally found what I needed here in Phoenix (Surprise) and they are 15 minutes from the house and owners very helpful and knowledgeable.
So did "MR. Moparts" take care of you?

Nightmare continues! Still trying to reassemble my 1965 Sport Fury which I was forced to move from one restoration shop to another story of which I have commented herein before. Never found all the parts and never will and it has been frustrating, at best, to find replacement parts.

I am trying to find a source for the Fender Bolts which are 1/4-20 3/4 inch long with a 1 1/8" washer, black finish. The 1" washers might work if push comes to shove.

Searched the internet and have been to several stores specializing in fasteners; no cigar.

Does anyone know where these can be sourced. Thanks.
Bulk Fasteners

Some of the bolts are not 1/4 I am trying to put my 1965 Sport Fury back together after a botched restore also, I have found 1/4" and they will not fit in the holes so be careful. I still have not figured out what size the holes are as of yet
I restored my 65 SF back in the 80's. I used all of the original bolts. The upper bolts along the hood are 5/16" X 1" with a 7/8" Washer as are the core support bolts.
The 1/4" X 3/4" with 3/4" washer are used to bolt the inner fender and go in from underneath. The nuts are all captured nuts so IMO they should all be one size or the other. I believe those two sizes are all that is needed. The captured nut shown in pic #2 is the unused 5/16" one above the washer bottle. I screwed it in for reference.

100_0693.JPG

100_0694.JPG

100_0695.JPG

100_0696.JPG

Back