Fender harness straps

I had the same problem, could find them but only in a set for an E body, had a bunch of others I didn't have a use for. I found these from Restoration specialties, 2.5in. center dist. They're in their catalog but not all from the catalog is on the website. You'd have to call them, $1 / ea.
View attachment 220169 View attachment 220170 View attachment 220171 View attachment 220172

That is what I ended up using. They are not 100% correct, but look similar and hold the wires in place.

Below is what I need to use to be 100% correct, but in black.

upload_2018-10-12_9-23-16.png

That is what I ended up using. They are not 100% correct, but look similar and hold the wires in place.

Below is what I need to use to be 100% correct, but in black.

View attachment 220235
Hmmm.... If they are nylon, they could be dyed. Google on how to do it, but I think hot water and RIT dye might do the trick.

Well, something mysterious is afoot, because my '66 300 had 5 very old, brittle WHITE straps.

Mine is a very early ‘68, at some time between ‘66 & ‘68 they changed to black. Then later in ‘68 if I understand correctly they changed the style a little.

I can't quite make out the color of the one above. Here is my '65 New Yorker. Delivered to the dealer in February just in case that matters.
IMG_2767.JPG

By ‘68, at least on the Polara, they had a little bit of a step to them , but not the little hoops that you can find on line. August ‘67 build.

upload_2018-10-13_19-3-42.jpeg

It's sure a head-scratcher. I went back and took a screen shot of a video I made before I took my 300 apart, and it does show white straps with a step. It was built the middle of December 1965 and delivered Christmas Eve.

SANY0028.JPG

Could be everyone is right. At assembly there may have been more than one supplier, differences could depend on plant or what bin they dipped into at the time.

Last edited:
Agree with above. There were probably a few approved suppliers and many changes through out the years as the supply base changed.
Sounds like a new thread.
I wish there was a way to build a spreadsheet and have everyone enter their information directly in the sheet to document the factory, date of build, and model with the type and color of main wire harness strap.
This would be interesting, but does it have any real value?

very nice engine bay. nice work so far
I would have to wear white gloves to work on that to make sure I didn’t leave fingerprints. I remember freaking out when I first brought mine home from paint and my daughter touched it. Now that the bills are paid and I have had it home for awhile I am much more relaxed. I sometimes don’t even wear gloves now. :realcrazy:

Back