Finally started my 73 conversion on my 66.. got an issue

Derek Simpson

Reaction score
So today I finally started my conversion. But I ran into an issue..

I'm using summit drilled and slotted rotors and Hawk carbon brake pads.

Anyways when I slide the rotor on and start tightening the spindle nut the rotor is slightly hitting the lower ball joint nuts.. I means ever so slightly

Any ideas on what I should do?

Are you talking about the bolts that hold the balljoint to the spindle? If so I believe the nuts go to the inside.

Kevin
mopp-1107-07-o-c-body-disc-brake-conversion-disc-spindles.jpg

Yes those are the bolts and that's how I have mine set up.

The very inner part of the rotor is hitting
Do you still have one of the old rotors around to make measurements and match to the new? I suspect the summit drilled rotors may have too broad an application range and missed a dimension.

If you have nothing to compare to, see if a local parts store has one in stock and try it. $53 for rotors at an AZ 6mi from here, in stock... I looked up a 73 Newport not knowing what yours came from... IDK how many versions were available in 73.

Yes those are the bolts and that's how I have mine set up.

The very inner part of the rotor is hitting

Did you use the original OEM bolts?

The head on an OEM bolt looks thinner than a regular Grade 8 bolt. This is a common problem when replacing stock torque converter bolts. The new ones will hit the block because the heads are thicker than stock.

Kevin

Do you still have one of the old rotors around to make measurements and match to the new? I suspect the summit drilled rotors may have too broad an application range and missed a dimension.

If you have nothing to compare to, see if a local parts store has one in stock and try it. $53 for rotors at an AZ 6mi from here, in stock... I looked up a 73 Newport not knowing what yours came from... IDK how many versions were available in 73.

No, I went I bought the spindles and hardware I opted not to send the rotors because they needed to be replaced anyways.

Yeah I wonder what I can do to use these rotors.. maybe do a grade 8 cap bolt?

I don't want to mess around too much I want to make sure it's safe lol

Sounds like they sent the wrong rotors or the wrong bearings.

I'd send them back and just go to your local parts store and get the "regular" ones. There is no real world advantage to the drilled slotted rotors anyway and they cost more.

Kevin.

Back