First day out with Sport Fury. Not the best.

OK that makes sense then....at 1000 rpm your probably on the edge of mechanical advance, and you should have all your advance in by around 2500 or so.

FYI, old mopars discharging at normal idle, while in gear with the brakes on, and any electrical acc.on is very common. No biggie. I don’t think a new regulator is going to solve that. It also doesn’t have a big effect on how it runs,, that is to say, it’s not going stall because it’s discharging a little.

FYI, old mopars discharging at normal idle, while in gear with the brakes on, and any electrical acc.on is very common. No biggie. I don’t think a new regulator is going to solve that. It also doesn’t have a big effect on how it runs,, that is to say, it’s not going stall because it’s discharging a little.

Ok. I figured voltage regulator would keep it close to center. Few pages back I mentioned the resto shop "fixing" my battery cable. It was lose, which caused lights and wipers to die when I hit the brakes. I figured on it having some damage.

At this point, I have done as much to the carburetor as I can do. If I idle down, ammeter hits the lower notch on discharge.

Here is a photo of the throttle valves. You can see the bend in one. I filed it and reset them. This is why they wouldn't close when letting off the gas.

IMG_20190427_115723726.jpg

Ok. I figured voltage regulator would keep it close to center. Few pages back I mentioned the resto shop "fixing" my battery cable. It was lose, which caused lights and wipers to die when I hit the brakes. I figured on it having some damage.

At this point, I have done as much to the carburetor as I can do. If I idle down, ammeter hits the lower notch on discharge.
If by “lower notch” you mean pegged to the left on the ammeter, THAT is not normal. Think of the ammeter as a arrow showing the direction of electrical current. Towards the right,amperage is going from the charging system to the battery as electrical components draw power. Towards the left, the battery is doing all the work. It’s hard to imagine what would be drawing so many amps that it pegs the hand to the left without being able to smell smoke coming from somewhere. I would think that without the engine running, key in run, with every stock electrical component on, it shouldn’t discharge that much.

If by “lower notch” you mean pegged to the left on the ammeter, THAT is not normal. Think of the ammeter as a arrow showing the direction of electrical current. Towards the right,amperage is going from the charging system to the battery as electrical components draw power. Towards the left, the battery is doing all the work. It’s hard to imagine what would be drawing so many amps that it pegs the hand to the left without being able to smell smoke coming from somewhere. I would think that without the engine running, key in run, with every stock electrical component on, it shouldn’t discharge that much.

Well, I am pretty sure the regulator took some damage. New one arrives Wednesday. This was a bad enough spike that it fried the temperature gauge. I plan on rewinding the burned out coil for the temp gauge and will take photos.

Currently, ammeter drops super low if I have on lights and wipers. With only one of the two, it isn't too bad.

Edit: New VR installed. I can turn on lights without a dip into D territory.

Last edited:
Back