Fixing rust hole - what to use

My first welds. It’s tricky but I was able to get it to quit popping so much and just sizzle. Need to keep practicing on making cleaner beads. Will do some more in the next few weeks.
Also included a shot of my Dads garage - he’s a big guy but likes small cars.

5691C85F-C3D1-47D9-87E5-43C2BDAD83C3.jpeg
5F07F4B2-CC8C-4EC4-96D5-EA9954264BDF.jpeg

Access to a mig welder should have made your decision easy. Glad to see you are doing it right. To supplement your welding for corrosion resistance or for non-structural applications this is an interesting option.

Access to a mig welder should have made your decision easy. Glad to see you are doing it right. To supplement your welding for corrosion resistance or for non-structural applications this is an interesting option.

Thanks for that video.
I can see me taking a week to do what he did in five minutes. And I'd still probably screw it up.

Today I worked on cutting out the old metal. I used a Sawzall which worked but was a bit hard to control. When I go out to my Dad's I will have access to cut-off wheel so that might help straighten things up.

I could use some tips on the best way to fit the patch piece in. Should I come from the outside and have an overlap in which I spot weld through the two pieces or should I cut the patch edge to edge and try and get an exact fit?

IMG_2751.JPG
IMG_2752.JPG
IMG_2753.JPG

Butt welding is always better than flange welding. Where ever there is overlapping metal there is always the possibility of something happening in that metal sandwich. Given your location, and if you don't live in Death Valley, butt welding would be best. Some might do a flange weld with weld through primer and seam sealer but I wouldn't given that risky location.

Butt welding is always best unless you are duplicating a factory flange weld. Cut a rectangular patch that will cover the hole, then curve it to fit behind as best as you can. Hold it in position and mark the outline. Cut out the marked area on the inside of the line. File/grind the patch and/or hole until the patch fits in the hole with about 1/16” spacing. Weld and grind.

Back