Fluids!

Guys.

Hope this is the right place to put this, I've got my new Wagon almost ready for the road, but I'd like to change all the driveline fluids.

What do you folks recommend for Coolant, Engine Oil (Additives?), Transmission fluid, Rear Diff Fluid?

What do you use, what do you like, what's recommended? 1968 Polara Wagon, 318 2 barrel/904, non sure grip. Driver, will get some decent miles this summer. Currently sitting at 77300 miles.

Thanks!

An 'ol timer once told me that ''oil is oil''.. That was most likely true back in his day.

If your car was my car, I'd run green coolant in the radiator. Brad Penn in the crank case. (no additive) Type F in the trans, and conventional 80w90 in the diff.

Well thanks for all the discussion, but lets get back to the original question.

I'm planning on running Shell Rotella T Diesel 15w40 oil with Mopar filter in the motor, ATF4 for the trans and green prestone coolant with a 180 thermostat.

Any issues (other than the thermostat, thats my choice based on a 45 year old cooling system that may or may not overheat)

Haven't been back in awhile. My trans has ATF4. My coolant is Prestone green. Currently my oil is Rotella 5W-40 in my 360. Personally am getting away from any oil above 10W. After doing research on flow properties and viscosity when cold most all oil don't flow that well during a cold start. So all my 10W-30 cars are in 5W-30. The 15W-40 cars are in 5W-40. The only car still in 10W-30 is my Cougar because it needs VR1 due to the high spring pressures needed for the camshaft. Most engine wear is at start up and I want the oil to flow out as fast as possible.

Believe it or not temperature has a bearing on how quickly oil will sludge and sludge faster at lower temperatures it does. Cylinder wear also increases at lower operating temperatures. I'm starting the process of rebuilding my Mercury 410 and just ran across a 60 hour wear test in my Big Block Ford rebuild book. After 60 hours at 40 F a cylinder has worn 0.010", at 100 F it is 0.002", at 140 F it is 0.001", at 160 F it is 0.0005" and at 200 F it was 0.0002" in 60 hours.

Back