FM Radio rear speaker volume/reverb knob location

I found this in the '65 Plymouth FSM. I was scrolling through it looking for something else and I spotted it!

Service Manuals – MyMopar for your own copy.

It's funny, I've found that by going up or down one year, you sometimes find things that help you, but I wasn't looking for this.

Reverb wiring.jpg

Not sure if 66 and 67 are similar but the reverb unit (the box) goes under the rear seat and is screwed onto a bracket there. In my 67 300 I have the AM/FM radio and the reverb unit is turned on with a toggle that is just to the right of the power antenna switch. See photo, the toggles left to right are map light, p antenna and REV for reverb. Cam Shaft

View attachment 580412

View attachment 580416
THANKS for posting this - I was (or, had been) wondering where the switch was for a '67 - would love to have this in my New Yorker, doubtful if I'd ever actually find a switch, though.........

Not sure if 66 and 67 are similar but the reverb unit (the box) goes under the rear seat and is screwed onto a bracket there. In my 67 300 I have the AM/FM radio and the reverb unit is turned on with a toggle that is just to the right of the power antenna switch. See photo, the toggles left to right are map light, p antenna and REV for reverb. Cam Shaft

View attachment 580412

View attachment 580416
THANKS again for this MOST helpful photo. Usually with reverb also comes the rear speaker. With rear speaker comes the front to rear, or "fade" switch. I THINK in '67 (and maybe others) the switch for this is the thumbwheel to the left of the MAP light switch?

Post a pic of the radio - is it the search tuner, or regular AM/FM unit? What did your Newport have originally?
I don't have any pictures of it yet but it is installed in the dash and working wonderfully. I decided to hold off on installing the reverb for now until I have the required trim. I may opt to leave it out and use a line level converter then attach to the aftermarket setup currently installed in the rear deck.
The current dash speaker is showing its age so I have to decide if I want to get a reproduction (with the correct resistance) or use a line level converter and modern gear under the dash as well. I'm currently leaning towards the latter as I can go a good bit louder that way, don't have to worry about buying correct reproduction hardware, and I can switch to a different input if I want to.

Edit: I forgot to respond to your other question. the original was an AM unit. The new one is a regular AM/FM unit. I don't know that a search tuner existed in 66.

Most definitely, a search tuner was available in 66.

If your original radio wasn't a search tuner (didn't have a foot switch or search bar), and your new radio fits, it's a non search tune unit of the same shaft spacing family. Good!!

I am pleased to hear it's sounding good.

FYI - in case you didn't know, with the reverb and/or plain rear seat speaker option in 66, the front speaker was 6 ohms, and the rear was 10 ohms. It seems you already know about the concerns of too little ohmage ruining amplifiers, so you need to make sure hat you get the right speakers.

2 x 10 ohms would be OK, but 2 x 4 ohms would burn up your radio's amp. 6 + 10 would be to spec.

Single dash speakers were 10 ohms I believe.

New correct ohmage speakers can be bought from Electro-Tech, found here:

Classic Car Speakers

I bought one for my 66 and I could not be happier with how it performs with my rebuilt search tuner.

Most definitely, a search tuner was available in 66.

If your original radio wasn't a search tuner (didn't have a foot switch or search bar), and your new radio fits, it's a non search tune unit of the same shaft spacing family. Good!!

I am pleased to hear it's sounding good.

FYI - in case you didn't know, with the reverb and/or plain rear seat speaker option in 66, the front speaker was 6 ohms, and the rear was 10 ohms. It seems you already know about the concerns of too little ohmage ruining amplifiers, so you need to make sure hat you get the right speakers.

2 x 10 ohms would be OK, but 2 x 4 ohms would burn up your radio's amp. 6 + 10 would be to spec.

Single dash speakers were 10 ohms I believe.

New correct ohmage speakers can be bought from Electro-Tech, found here:

Classic Car Speakers

I bought one for my 66 and I could not be happier with how it performs with my rebuilt search tuner.
That's the place I was looking at if I decide to go stock. I have a single dash speaker so the 6x9 10ohm ought to work. I assume being a transistor amp these wont be upset by having no load? Now I'm wondering if line level converters have a dummy load I need to worry about being 4 ohms...

I don't know about the line level converters... I think you're all right with no load, but again, I am not 100% sure, and therefore I tend to always hook them up to speakers.

I don't know about the line level converters... I think you're all right with no load, but again, I am not 100% sure, and therefore I tend to always hook them up to speakers.
Do you have any experience with the speakers from Electro-Tech? Can they get loud without damage? I'd like to get as close to hi-fi as possiblle and after hooking the radio to a Paradigm speaker in the house I know it has the ability to sound amazing and get loud with something decent.

I have had no issues, but hifi in my application they are not! They offer better quality speakers - higher wattage capability, built in tweeter, foam driver surround for better bass etc., but their website clearly states that it's a 4 ohm speaker, NOT suitable for a classic car radio.

Last edited:
I weent out and grabbed a pic. I think I neeed to seee if I can adjust it up a bit since it seems to not be centered. I was under the dash and my buddy was in the seat lining things up...

IMG20230218152056.jpg

Cool - yes, standard AM/FM. It's lower like that because the dial is assumed to be viewed from the driver seat, with average tall man's height.

The radio may come up a 1/6th or so...

Back