For all you Champion Spark plug haters

In 1976, my mother had a "tune-up" done on her '72 Coronet. It had a 318. Tht shop installed AC plugs. Within several weeks stalling and hard starting promped her to call me to trouble shoot/ repair it. I discovered that the center electrodes on the plugs had burned off, receeding into the porcelain insulaters. Replacing the AC's with a used set of Champions solved the problem. I have also had good success with Bosch Platinum plugs.

In 1976, my mother had a "tune-up" done on her '72 Coronet. It had a 318. Tht shop installed AC plugs. Within several weeks stalling and hard starting promped her to call me to trouble shoot/ repair it. I discovered that the center electrodes on the plugs had burned off, receeding into the porcelain insulaters. Replacing the AC's with a used set of Champions solved the problem. I have also had good success with Bosch Platinum plugs.
I have always used Champions in my Mopars but many have had good luck with NGK or Bosch. I got spanked with Autolites. The heat range was too cold. I could never get it idle clean. Champs fixed the issue.

78CF7E7C-1CF2-4729-A871-5F9B990BCF72.jpeg
95A6E6E6-3488-4F78-AA6C-17E754FC75DB.jpeg
What part number are those Champion plugs? Just curious.

Thanks,
CBODY67
I had already thrown the first three away. Today I changed out the back three. Long # wraps around plug. Looks like RE14PLP5 Here’s two pics

Last edited:
48C21BC9-1FC1-40AD-BED2-EA1FAF827940.jpeg
3A65493A-787C-421E-8D4F-78FB1538A3CB.jpeg
1424A089-EA5F-4597-B847-9CE6308E2F50.jpeg
Changed out the back 3 today. Had to take the cowl cover off, wiper arms & the cowl. Not bad at all. 20 minutes & it was off. Help from a YouTube video that was good & showed what tools needed. That’s the best way to do it. Another 30 minutes & plugs changed with new wires. Started it up & idles good. A couple drive way blast & it seems fine. To busy for a road trip. Maybe tomorrow.

I've always had good luck with Autolite plugs. I have them in my '71 383 and my '70 351W. Both of those engines had Champions when I got them. I didn't change out the Champions right away, but when I got around to doing my first plug change I bought Autolites. My 390 was another story. That engine just never ran quite right with Champions, so I installed Accel U-Grooves (the yellow ones) and wow, what a difference! It was like night and day. They don't make those plugs anymore. I was so impressed with the Accel plugs, I went back and bought their coil. Next time I may use Autolites in it or try NGK. A friend of mine swears by NGK. Funny thing is, I have never tried Motorcraft plugs.

I started to not care for Champions when I had my first car, a '63 Chevy with a 6 cyl. I replaced all of them with new Champions, but the next time I tried a different brand. Without making any other changes, I noticed an improvement in the way it ran and felt.

After that, I even changed the Champion in my then new snowblower to an Autolite plug. I cranked the engine with the plug connected, but not in the cylinder just to look at the spark. Both plugs were brand new and gapped properly. The Champion made a dull yellow spark, while the Autolite made a bright blue spark. The Autolite was the direct, cross referenced replacement for the Champion. That was enough for me.

I don't know what it's like everywhere else, but around here Champions seem to be the lowest priced plugs. I think that may be why they are in so many used engines. Just my own personal experience.

Last edited:
do spark plug related , but buick related , w.p. chrysler work at buick , going to willis overland and bringing willis in to the black , where he cammanded a tall salary , before he started chrysler co . and i'll use champion plugs any n every day .

This plug blew out of a Ford Exploder that I used to have. My oldest son had it at the time. He called and said, "It's running a bit rough, but the noise it making is very strange." Of course, that noise was the open plug hole.

Judging by the other plugs, the gaps were all over the place and obviously hadn't been changed in years. It amazed me that it ran as well as it did.

DCP_2079.JPG

Back