For the Fusey Imperial Lovers

Meagawattkid, any fresh photos or news to share?

Meagawattkid, any fresh photos or news to share?
If you insist.. First one with her former stablemate. The engine bay is so nice looking I could stare at it for hours.

20180708_162650.jpg

20180903_145327.jpg

20180903_145230.jpg

20180903_145147.jpg

20180903_145059.jpg

20180903_144532.jpg

20180903_145141.jpg

20180903_142155.jpg

20180903_142202.jpg

20180903_142211.jpg

That is sweet. Never miss seeing more pics. Thanks for sharing. Like seeing Tina Patina next to her, too.

That radiator shroud looks like someone must have shot it with clear. I don't think they looked that good from the factory. Pretty nice under the hood.

:realcrazy: What`s wrong with the rubber boobs? Any way, lovely cars!

:realcrazy: What`s wrong with the rubber boobs? Any way, lovely cars!

They are unnecessary appendages that were forced on the manufacturers by a gov't that thinks it knows best. (Imagine what little they would do to soften the blow in a collision between a 5,000 lb Imperial and a Toyota Corolla of the same vintage... nothing.)
They clutter up what is otherwise a beautiful design.

They are unnecessary appendages that were forced on the manufacturers by a gov't that thinks it knows best. (Imagine what little they would do to soften the blow in a collision between a 5,000 lb Imperial and a Toyota Corolla of the same vintage... nothing.)
They clutter up what is otherwise a beautiful design.

What happens to a Corolla in a collision was, AFAIK, not the point of the federal mandate:

"On April 9, 1971, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) issued its first regulation on passenger car bumpers. Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) 215, "Exterior Protection," was initially effective on September 1, 1972, and imposed requirements which prohibited damage to specified safety-related components such as headlamps and fuel systems in a series of perpendicular barrier impacts, at 5 mph for front and 2.5 mph for rear bumper systems." (excerpt from W.G. La Heist and F.G. Ephraim, "An Evaluation of the Bumper Standard - As Modified in 1982" -- NHTSA Report Number DOT HS 807 072, February 1987; emphasis added)

The following side picture of a '73 Imp, with the rubbers extending well beyond the bumper itself, illustrates that goal:

Screen Shot 2018-09-04 at 7.47.41 PM.png

This being said, I agree with your assessment that @Megawattkid 's already gorgeous car does look even better without the bumper extensions.

Then why quote that mindless drivel from the stupid Nhtsa?
"Jimmy Crack Corn And I Don't Care" you've made my point even clearer. I don't care if your doing five mph or Fifty. The gov't is wrong for such an absurd law. It's a matter of mass.
Not to mention that those tits look like ****.

Then why quote that mindless drivel from the stupid Nhtsa?
"Jimmy Crack Corn And I Don't Care" you've made my point even clearer. I don't care if your doing five mph or Fifty. The gov't is wrong for such an absurd law. It's a matter of mass.

Mass won’t protect _your_ front bumper if you hit a wall at 5mph and all you have is the pretty chrome.

Now, whether you prefer the risk of a dent vs. the certainty of your bumpers’ looking worse all the time is another question. I happen to be on your side: I’d rather have the better-looking but less-protected ones. Still, I’d submit it’s a matter of preferences — not absurdity.

Last edited:
I love the way the park lights look on a '72/'73 Imp. The only thing I don't like about this car is the tail pipes currently, but out of respect to the previous owner I'm going to leave them alone for now.

Imp at dusk.jpg

Imp at dusk 2.jpg

I like them and to be honest, I have been thinking of pencil tips for Impster, but we`ll see what happens. Megaphones are the worst, slash cut tips fall in between and the pencil tips are the best IMHO.
What is your opinion about those rear side marker lights on 72-73 Imperials?
They show that even something federally mandated can be beautiful.

Last edited:
On the topic of the nhtsa bumper mandates that came about in the 70s I think it is interesting that those rules created the strongest bumper/car combinations that ever existed, 1974 has to be the most common year of any brand to have the most coveted derby bumpers, some in the collector world put down the look of the bigger bumpers but I like how the bigger bumpers have a top vs earlier styles, it adds a different demension of chrome, the only negative thing I see about this blue Imperial’s rubber bumpers is an enthusiast’s struggle to replace a damaged one.

Some very nice cars pictured in this thread, congratulations

Just give a look at the 73 bumper guards and you see how the add to the amount of chrome. I also think that Mopars did pretty well with the safety bumpers as they had not take them ``out`` from the body unlike competitors(Excludes a few Models from AMC). May we get back to look at more fresh pics of the blue Imp now?

Megawattkid, you appear to have a great combination of vehicles at your compound. Classic, late model, high impact colors, trucks, etc...they all seem very nice. But I'd like to witness in person the attention your Imperial draws, it's so clean!

Back