Formal Window?

streetmachine

Reaction score
Just curious about something here. After owning 3 Dakota Convertibles over the years one thing I've noticed is that the ones I've owned with power windows tended to rattle the side windows more vs the manual window truck I owned. I can't explain it but, with the windows fully up they rattled more over bumps in the power window trucks and when lowered say an inch they rattled very little. Anyways, my question is on this particular is this same idea apply to "Formals" as well say sedan vs hardtop? The other question is would the side windows be more prone to leakage on a hardtop or sedan? Or would it be equal. The reason for that question is I ever get caught out in a rain storm I'd hate to have a side window leak.

None of my Formals ever rattle in the way you describe. Just about any of them will leak some water now a days due to the lack of any support by the aftermarket for weatherstripping.

The amount will vary depending on the condition of the old weatherstrip. All of mine have little leaks to some degree for the reason mentioned. It is what it is.

No rattle problem with rattles in my formal sedan. I've had more trouble with my door weather stripping, then the window seal. There are repro seals, and weather stripping for formal sedans, however none that I know of for hardtops.

My 4 door hardtop is just fine. When I bought it one window wasn't sealing properly but it was an easy adjustment. I can go through a car wash no problem.

Posted via Topify on Android

No rattle problem with rattles in my formal sedan. I've had more trouble with my door weather stripping, then the window seal. There are repro seals, and weather stripping for formal sedans, however none that I know of for hardtops.

This is news to me. When I restored my Wagon, there was nothing out there for Formals, I was lucky and got some NOS, but I had to make some after market window channel work on my car and it isn't totally correct. Do you have a source for Formal Sedan window channel?

I was able to get the good after market window wipes "cat whiskers some call them?" for Formals, I nearly fainted when I saw that.

Anything will help. Thanks!

I'll have to do some homework and find it. The pieces were for 74-77 4dr Monacos, but have to imagine they would work on all formal sedans?

The 2 compaines that come to mind are

Steele rubber- I know they supply the beltline weather stripping.

And Restoration specialties- they had a few parts. I think they had the cat wiskers, but dont quote me.. Lol

Thanks monaco75. I'm sure a lot of the formal guys would be curious as well.

My 93 Dakota Hardtop power windows didn't rattle .. neither did the pop out ones in back which were of the 68 - 70 B body coupe variety though.

My 68 Coronet Convert windows don't leak either but they are not power

Thank you. I'm thinking it is something more with the design on a convertible top because of the different seals and the doors are a big structure to these trucks. Like I said I can lower them about an inch they are fine.

Back