Fresh Air Vents behind kick panel

furyfever

Reaction score
69 Dodge Polara…318 automatic originally A/C car. Bought it 3 years ago always thought PASSENGER side fresh air vent behind kick panel was broken. Driver side works fine. Took apart yesterday to find passenger side air vent has no vent…just a factory cover over it…but lever under dash and cable are there. See attached photo of removed parts. This surprised me. Is it the “norm” for A/C cars to have fresh air delete on passenger side? And yet have both levers under (steering wheel) dash? And even the passenger cable there not hooked up to anything? Weird…Can I expect it to blow fresh air if I can find a vent for passenger side? I would think so. Anyone have passenger vent laying around they’d like to sell? Sorry, lots of questions…just looking for some info. on this. Thank you….Bob

IMG_5830.jpeg

Do you have Auto Temp or manual AC?. My '70 has AC and vents on both sides with manual AC. I remember a discussion about cars with Auto Temp won't have the vent on the passenger side because that is where the electronics are, but I do not know for certain.

My 67 Imperial(early build non ATC) had two slide dash levers for passenger and drivers side to open the lower air vents .
If I recall the passenger side lever was eliminated for 68.
I assumed it was an ATC thing.

My 69 did not have the right side vent, it has standard AC. It only has one cable.

I had a 69 parts car that had AC and had the right side vent.

Alan

72 Polara A/C car only one vent cable for left side.

69 Dodge Polara…318 automatic originally A/C car. Bought it 3 years ago always thought PASSENGER side fresh air vent behind kick panel was broken. Driver side works fine. Took apart yesterday to find passenger side air vent has no vent…just a factory cover over it…but lever under dash and cable are there. See attached photo of removed parts. This surprised me. Is it the “norm” for A/C cars to have fresh air delete on passenger side? And yet have both levers under (steering wheel) dash? And even the passenger cable there not hooked up to anything? Weird…Can I expect it to blow fresh air if I can find a vent for passenger side? I would think so. Anyone have passenger vent laying around they’d like to sell? Sorry, lots of questions…just looking for some info. on this. Thank you….Bob

View attachment 630284
The cowl drains and vents in the areas behind the kick panel and vent covers. You will get fresh air if you install a vent. However, in every c-body car I've had, debris collect in that cowl vent area. When you 1st open the new vent and go for a drive, bits of old leaves may blow out into the passenger compartment. AMHIK. Shop vac is handy for this.

I have this, just one of them, don't know what side it's for, but it would be for '67 and also I assume '68 (and maybe earlier to '65 ?) so it looks like it's going to be different for '69.

774.jpg

I have this, just one of them, don't know what side it's for, but it would be for '67 and also I assume '68 (and maybe earlier to '65 ?) so it looks like it's going to be different for '69.

View attachment 630298
Thanks for offering your vent…but yes, I looked up on eBay today and compared vents. 69-73 vents look to be different from yours (65-68 I believe). Really strange how factory put driver side vent in but passenger doesn’t get one. Car came with factory A/C. Not sure what Auto Temp vs Manual A/C is. Is that factory Airtemp vs dealer installed A/C? Car has no vent windows…unfortunately. I always liked those so much and it has tinted glass as well which looks real nice. And yes, I saw a nice pile of pine needles down in there when I removed cover this morning. I’ll vacuum them out before I install a vent. I put out some feelers today. Anyone know where I could look if no RH fresh air vent turns up for me? Thank you, Bob

Last edited:
Good Morning
You can contact Murray Park www.cbodies.com
He deals primarily in C bodies.
Merry Christmas
Omni

My 68 NYer has manual AC and has vents on both sides. AutoTemp means you select a temperature and the electronics decides whether you need ac or heat to be comfortable.

If you're going to install a vent suck that are out really good as said above.

Contacted Murray Park. He thinks he has one. Will let me know…thank you!

Back