Friggin brakes. Air getting back in the system

No, March is bonus season. Right now it's Christmas spending season. January is kids tuition season. February is pay taxes season.
Now you know how everyone else feels. Maybe that is why the posts have dropped of on the site.

Well hell. sat for two weeks and got a mushy pedal again.

Also checked the rotors, have about .010" lateral runout on the rotors. Sigh. So now it's replace all the hard lines in front, and the rotors. OR I sell the damned calipers and rotor hats, then go Wilwood. All that really has to be done is to fab up brackets to mount the new calipers. I'd really like to be able to replace rotors without having to spend near $300 each. Especially when I can get the Wilwood setup for about $650.

Staying original and ma mopar is great but if I can't stop the pig it doesn't mean much.

But it's just a thought for now. We'll see when March rolls around.
:BangHead:

I would try opening the bleeders one at a time and see which circuits give air. don't do a full gravity bleed JIC it's the master. You can crack the line fittings loose there to see if that's where the air is after you've checked at the wheels.

At this point I suspect the calipers. But I'll do what you suggest. We'll see.

Done did some research today. Scarebird brackets with a slight modification to fit the disc balljoint bolt pattern, and I'll be good to go with the rest of their suggested parts. If I go that way.

Well I ordered a new test mule rotor for mock up. 1970 T-bird rotor. Change the races to set2 and set6, like scarebird does. So far it's cost me grand total of $6.34. I'm looking at a caliper and bracket from a '05 Magnum RT. I'll need another adapter from the factory spindle caliper mount to the magnum's bracket. But it should get me there fairly quickly and inexpensively.

On another note. I was out for a spin today. No loss of brakes. No need to pump. Did a 90mph-0 stop and no issue, pedal stayed firm and no gradual fall to the floor. If this holds I'm going to abandon the rotor/caliper/bracket nonsense.

The issue? Bleeder valve(s). Or more specifically cheap Chinesium bleeder valves. Noticed the fluid in the reservoir for the front was getting milky. I know that's water. so moisture was/is getting in somehow. So some google and bing foo later someone had the exact same symptoms I am having and it was traced back to bad bleeders. Since I didn't ship the old ones back for the core charge yet I pulled em and cleaned up. Swapped them out and this is what I saw;

IMG_20180120_134445864-01.jpeg

Bleeder on the right was gouged all to hell. Matter of fact internal hole was also dry when I pulled it. The left, the drivers side, the internal hole was wet. The factories were still smooth so what the heck. Bled the brakes and went for a drive. Felt nice, no fade.

So now I'm off to get new fluid and flush the whole thing again. Then I'll let it sit and see if the symptoms return.

If it works I'm going to be ecstatic.

Well I ordered a new test mule rotor for mock up. 1970 T-bird rotor. Change the races to set2 and set6, like scarebird does. So far it's cost me grand total of $6.34. I'm looking at a caliper and bracket from a '05 Magnum RT. I'll need another adapter from the factory spindle caliper mount to the magnum's bracket. But it should get me there fairly quickly and inexpensively.

On another note. I was out for a spin today. No loss of brakes. No need to pump. Did a 90mph-0 stop and no issue, pedal stayed firm and no gradual fall to the floor. If this holds I'm going to abandon the rotor/caliper/bracket nonsense.

The issue? Bleeder valve(s). Or more specifically cheap Chinesium bleeder valves. Noticed the fluid in the reservoir for the front was getting milky. I know that's water. so moisture was/is getting in somehow. So some google and bing foo later someone had the exact same symptoms I am having and it was traced back to bad bleeders. Since I didn't ship the old ones back for the core charge yet I pulled em and cleaned up. Swapped them out and this is what I saw;

View attachment 163559

Bleeder on the right was gouged all to hell. Matter of fact internal hole was also dry when I pulled it. The left, the drivers side, the internal hole was wet. The factories were still smooth so what the heck. Bled the brakes and went for a drive. Felt nice, no fade.

So now I'm off to get new fluid and flush the whole thing again. Then I'll let it sit and see if the symptoms return.

If it works I'm going to be ecstatic.

At least the ChiCom quality control is up their usual standards of excellence. Lol!.

Dave

Back