New UK member , trying to source a brake booster for my 66 440 new yorker

Reaction score
Hi
I cm currently living in the UK and have an issue with my 66 Chrysler new yorker .
It's been sitting a while and I got it all running fine and did the last thing ,check brakes .
While engine is of and not running brake pedal is firm ,once started depresses to the floor with no brakes under foot. I removed the master cylinder cleaned it checked piston travel ,refitted and topped back off with fluid , had pedal depressed to check piston moved and pushed fluid to reservoir all good . And also fluid from front of it .
I've tried looking for a replacement and as you can imagine not available here in the UK at all from parts suppliers .Rock auto shows out of stock , would your usual o reilys , auto zone carry a replacement if I could get one collected and sent here .?
Many thanks in advance

Do you have drum or disc brakes in front? The boosters are different. Give Booster Dewey a call, (503) 238 - 8882, he is highly recommended, and you can see how long it would take for him to turn yours around.

Does engine run rough? I'd think you'd have a vacuum leak if the booster was bad. A hard pedal with the engine off, but goes down, even way down when the engine is running, to me that's a working booster but brake shoes need adjusting. Maybe also air in the lines. If engine idles ok at 600 rpm and vacuum is what, 20, 25 inches I'd say take the drums off and adjust the shoes.

While engine is of and not running brake pedal is firm ,once started depresses to the floor with no brakes under foot. I removed the master cylinder cleaned it checked piston travel ,refitted and topped back off with fluid , had pedal depressed to check piston moved and pushed fluid to reservoir all good .
That's not a booster issue.

With the engine off, is the pedal rock hard? I mean the pedal hardly moves at all.

If you pump the brakes, does the pedal come up? If it's up, does it slowly sink to the floor?

IMHO, it sounds like you have air in the line, a leak (you have lost fluid) or a bad master cylinder. You've also had the master cylinder off... Did you bleed everything after you put it back on?

Hi again
Further investigation today and found the vacuum hose looked OK in its position but on removal I found several cracks allowing air in ,I have a new 11/32 hose arriving tomorrow will let you know my findings on replacement.

20231002_151157.jpg

Back