Friggin pissed......

In response to your earlier questions about your tank....

Yes you should have a sock over the end of the fuel pick-up unit. And those hose routed around like that are not correct. One side should go up around the upper shock area to vent, the other I'm not sure about. But as long as you have a proper vented gas tank cap you could leave the hose routed like that.

Well, all I can say is you're a braver man than I am.:laughing4: I wouldn't have added it to the gas in my '05 which, of course, has a cat. But then, since it's my daily driver, I don't store it so it doesn't sit for long periods anyway. All of my trouble with my Newport came from the fact that it sat from 1998 to 2008 without being driven. She went from 2001 to 2008 without the engine even being started. Anyway, I've been using the 2-cycle oil and fuel stabilizer in her every winter since 2008 and have had no problems since. When I finally get my truck ready to run I will do the same. It hasn't been driven since 1996 and the engine hasn't been started since 2002. There's no gas in it's tank anymore. I haven't looked in it's tank, but I'm expecting the worst. If need be, I'll replace the tank or have it lined, depending which is more economical. Replacement tanks for F-series trucks are a lot less expensive than replacement tanks for C-bodies.
I had my Newport's tank lined by one of the local rad shops five years ago. They used some red spray-in stuff. I haven't had any problems since, even with ten percent ethanol in the gas. So yeah, relining your tank is one option. :)

That sounds like an option. You said it rad shop? I'll start looking on the web. Thanks man.

Yes you should have a sock over the end of the fuel pick-up unit. And those hose routed around like that are not correct. One side should go up around the upper shock area to vent, the other I'm not sure about. But as long as you have a proper vented gas tank cap you could leave the hose routed like that.

I figured there should be a sock on it. Now I have to find a sender now!!

I figured there should be a sock on it. Now I have to find a sender now!!
That could be a challenge to your patience. Seems like 1/2 of them are junk no matter who you get one from.

Posted via Topify using Android

I have a pretty good idea of how to get the tank clean inside. I'm going to use a pressure washer with a wide spread tip. That will clean any surface rust/dirt away. After that I will dry it with my shop vac.

Can just a sock be purchased for the fuel pickup??

The sock is available from Year One (same as B body). The aftermarket senders are mostly junk as far as accuracy goes. You can use a 67 tank and I also think you could use the B body tank. It's just smaller, but it would definitely fit.

The sock is available from Year One (same as B body). The aftermarket senders are mostly junk as far as accuracy goes. You can use a 67 tank and I also think you could use the B body tank. It's just smaller, but it would definitely fit.

Wow, thank you. I'll get on year one today to order it up. Tank is not that bad to need replacing at this point, but need the sock for sure.

Last edited:
Holy crap!! Not good. I removed the sender as you guys know. I left the rear fuel filter on the line. Just for my own curiosity I cut the rear fuel filter in half to see what was inside! I replaced these filters only about 25 miles ago. You think the tank is dirty??!! This is just what was inside the rear fuel filter. Look at the size of the pile from one filter!!!! I will remove the front filter tonight and cut that one in half also. I'm hoping that the rear filter caught all the debris from the tank and the front filter is clean. If not I'm going to have to take the new 850 apart. This could have been avoided if the sock was on the sender, but then again, I would have had no idea that the tank was filled with ****. See pic.

I guess this can be expected from a 46 year old car....

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
Three letters: Oh Em Eff Gee.
Ok. That's four...

I hear that. LMAO, you're too funny man! I said more than four letters!..lol

I found this on Classic Car Auto parts site. With shipping $92. Dammit!!

Whats your opinion on just installing the old one with a new sock? It did work.

image.jpg

Last edited:
Whats your opinion on just install the old one
I think it will be 50/50 no matter which way you go. Murphy's law after all...
Find in the FSM how to test them on the bench.

I think it will be 50/50 no matter which way you go. Murphy's law after all...
Find in the FSM how to test them on the bench.

Already tested it and it's fine. Gas gauge works. Now I need to order the sock or it might be in the tank still. Have to look.

image.jpg

Whats your opinion on just installing the old one with a new sock? It did work.
That's what I did, well, sort of.
My sending unit worked except for the fact that the old sock was completely clogged from old sticky gas and that the old sticky gas residue was also causing the float arm to stick. The guage would never read below 1/4 tank.
I wasn't on the internet then, so I tried to get a new sock through the local parts stores with no luck. At that time I also didn't know that a B-body sock would fit. I don't know if the parts store could have got me a B-body sock or not. I did know that I wouldn't have been able to afford a new sender even if one was available. So, I carefully took my sender apart, prying open the little tabs and cleaned it. Then I sprayed it inside with WD-40 and put it back together. I removed the clogged sock (screen only) from my sender. I bought a sock filter for a late model whatever and I cut the sock off of it. I used a small hose clamp to clamp that sock over the remaining plastic part of the original sock. I re-installed the sender with a new gasket and my guage has been working perfectly ever since. :)
Sometimes you just gotta improvise! :laughing4:

That could be a challenge to your patience. Seems like 1/2 of them are junk no matter who you get one from.

I had the same problem on my Barracuda, I just adjusted it so it hit empty at the right time, that is all that matters

That's what I did, well, sort of.
My sending unit worked except for the fact that the old sock was completely clogged from old sticky gas and that the old sticky gas residue was also causing the float arm to stick. The guage would never read below 1/4 tank.
I wasn't on the internet then, so I tried to get a new sock through the local parts stores with no luck. At that time I also didn't know that a B-body sock would fit. I don't know if the parts store could have got me a B-body sock or not. I did know that I wouldn't have been able to afford a new sender even if one was available. So, I carefully took my sender apart, prying open the little tabs and cleaned it. Then I sprayed it inside with WD-40 and put it back together. I removed the clogged sock (screen only) from my sender. I bought a sock filter for a late model whatever and I cut the sock off of it. I used a small hose clamp to clamp that sock over the remaining plastic part of the original sock. I re-installed the sender with a new gasket and my guage has been working perfectly ever since. :)
Sometimes you just gotta improvise! :laughing4:

Do you remember what sock filter you bought and what model it was from? I would like to get this locally without ordering from the internet, but if I have to I will.

Like I said above, I will look in the tank to see if the sock is in there. I'm sure it is, as I used 150 PSI of air pressure to unclog the line when this all happened. I think the sock blew off inside the tank!

The other thing is, does anyone know what the tank held in gallons? Still thinking of going to a fuel cell.

Last edited:
The only problem with p/u is its only 5/16 depending how big your motor is and I did this a few years ago and now my pick up has a pin hole in it and sucks air at less than 3/4tank so I will be pulling tank over winter.

Back