WANTED front door pulls

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will give you guys an update on the reproductions being made by the Chrysler 300 Club for the Hursts very soon. I got hold of name of the right guy now and he already has the first samples done. I am not sure yet whether this will be a limited effort for club members or something more widely available until I talk directly to the guy managing the project . But even for club members, they will require that the original cores be sent in when making an order, and that is because they will be sent out for replating the end pieces and afterwards have the rest of the pulls made from there. The hold up so far has been in finding a supplier that had a sewing machine able to make the deep cuts in those armrests for the sewing. Here is an initial photo of the first samples. The estimated cost is in the neighborhood of $200 for a set, but maybe if the director of the project is willing to take on higher volume, the price might come down. That is what I have to find out and more about the details of the pulls (like are the just as thick as the originals, etc.) I am encouraged that they are being made with actual sewing of the stiches rather than molding the stiching into a fully vinyl mold, etc. More to come soon.

DSCN8722.jpg

Nice, but I suspect they will not come in white.

That is one of my many questions. For example, if the person managing the effort wants to limit his time to servicing members only, then perhaps someone like Bob Baker can take on the higher volume likely from this site. We will just have to wait and see until I can find out more about the project.

I had a brief discussion with the guy managing the reproduction for the 300 Club, and it seems he wants to limit his sales to club members only to avoid any legal implications from Ma. But I also talked with Bob Baker, and he knows the guy involved in the effort for the club and will discuss with him going beyond the club level, and perhaps having ABC Moparts take over from there and do various colors too. So we will need to be patient a while longer while they discuss things and work out any issues that might come up. But at least the initial hard work in finding sourcing to make the parts has been accomplished and we will see where it goes from there. The club guy also told me the pulls are maybe 10% thinner than the originals due to the limits of the sewing machine. So I asked for a side view of the pulls as well to see how this affects the overall appearance. I will continue to keep you guys posted when I get something new to show you.

Also from Bob, he has the first samples made now for the fuselage C pillar covers that are part of the rear window surround for most of our 2 door models and will have them available for showing at the Spring Fling at the end of the week now here in California. I gave him my covers to use for making the reproductions and lobbied him to make them and worked with him to get the ends correct, etc, so I will be eager to see them. He said the reproductions are made of carbon fiber, so that they will be much more robust than the originals that were made out of plastic and crack so easily. Bob will be doing some test fitting of these initial samples in his own fuselage C body before going into production. So we need to be sure to support his efforts and buy some of the parts he is investing in if we want more. Those C pillar covers are another part we sorely need and I am glad Bob signed up to do them.

I am also wondering how many people on this site would actually order a set for around $200. If fewer than 20, then there might not be any issues at all. Any guesses? From what Bob tells me, few people actually seem to follow through with their claimed desire to buy, at least on dashpads. If he doesn't start making some money, then we won't have a go to guy anymore for what a lot of us need to make nice cars.

It appears no one is really all that interested in these door pulls except Critter and myself. Given what I heard when talking with the 300 Club guy doing the reproductions, it sounds like if we send him the proper vinyl wrap for our pulls, he can have them reproduced with the vinyl we supply. When I see they are for sale in the Chrysler 300 Club newsletter (I am a member), I will let you know Critter so you can finally get them redone.

bump.....
Derek, I sent you a PM with the contact information for the guy in the Chrysler 300 Club International who is spearheading the work on the Hurst door pulls. I am pretty sure he will be able to supply the pulls you need, as it looks like there isn't much demand for those from this site at least, so Bob Baker probably will not pursue it further. Let me know how it all turns out please.
Steve

It appears no one is really all that interested in these door pulls except Critter and myself. Given what I heard when talking with the 300 Club guy doing the reproductions, it sounds like if we send him the proper vinyl wrap for our pulls, he can have them reproduced with the vinyl we supply. When I see they are for sale in the Chrysler 300 Club newsletter (I am a member), I will let you know Critter so you can finally get them redone.

Not true. I need at least 3 sets and while I think $200/set is pricey, if it is my only option then what choice do I have? IF they only make them in the Hurst color I guess that I will have to dye them. Please keep me in the loop. Thanks.

Bill

Bill, you should be able to send the 300 Club member some of the door panel vinyl sourced from SMS in the color of your choice, and my understanding was that he could make them per your needs then. I am sending you the contact information by PM so you can talk with him directly. It may well be that the project isn't completed yet, but my previous comments in this thread were based on only two people coming above ground saying they actually needed them.

The contact I discussed this with said he could make these available outside the 300 Club if there were limited requests as such (i.e. not too many different people). He was concerned about FCA coming after him for copyright issues, but without any Chrysler logos on whatever he reproduces, from the companies I have talked with about this issue, it is a non-issue if the Chrysler logo isn't used on the reproduction. I sent the contact info to two others, but neither has reported back on their discussions. Maybe you could call him and let us know the status of the reproduction effort and availability outside the 300 Club. I also was concerned that the reproductions wouldn't be thick enough to closely enough match the originals, and that would be a turn off for me (he said something about limitations as to what any available sewing machine could do in terms of stitching if the pulls were too thick). I would like to see a side view of these.

I would like to see a side view of these.

They are quite thick. When I get back from Carlisle, I'll take a couple pics.

I just had to remind Mrs. Big John to not use the door pull on her side to shut the door.... That was an interesting conversation....

John if ya find some at Carlisle..grab them and will reimburse ya...

I saw the pulls today. They are nice but thinner than originals. Over all though they will work well.

I am hoping someone got a side view photo of one of them. One photo worth a 1000 words. I am pretty fussy about them being very close to original............................

They are about half the thickness and don't taper on the ends like the original.
Thanks, but that won't cut it for me then. I will just use the ones I have left until they are all gone. Collected the ones I have over 30 years ago, so they are still decent as long as no one actually uses them!

As promised, I grabbed a couple pics.

So... Here's what is interesting... These are both factory pieces, but out of different cars. Note the difference in thickness.

7GlXpRo.jpg

lP4NOzC.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back