WANTED front door pulls

Status
Not open for further replies.
As promised, I grabbed a couple pics.

So... Here's what is interesting... These are both factory pieces, but out of different cars. Note the difference in thickness.

View attachment 133738
View attachment 133739

Wow, I have never seen the thin style on a factory original car before. I guess I learn something new everyday. Very surprising. Thanks for the side view photos! The thin style still stikes me as "wrong" and I really don't like them. The thicker ones were very nice to look at and the feel when using them was conducive to the over all feeling of a stout car. The thin one just seems to have no character and look cheap.

The thin one came out of my car, 70 300 'vert. It may or may not be an original piece to the car. I have no way of knowing. It is a factory piece though.

Thinking about it, the repop could be done in the same thickness, but the compromise would be to not stitch completely through. You could stitch to a thinner, shaped backing, laminate to a thicker material and then wrap vinyl around the back and glue in place. If done right, the handle would look "correct" from all angles except from the backside and that you would not be able to see once on the car.

The thin one came out of my car, 70 300 'vert. It may or may not be an original piece to the car. I have no way of knowing. It is a factory piece though.

Thinking about it, the repop could be done in the same thickness, but the compromise would be to not stitch completely through. You could stitch to a thinner, shaped backing, laminate to a thicker material and then wrap vinyl around the back and glue in place. If done right, the handle would look "correct" from all angles except from the backside and that you would not be able to see once on the car.

That is the right attitude John - I can't understand why all the purists in the 300 Club would accept such a pathetic reproduction. I sure wouldn't buy the one they will be making even if they were $10 each (doubtful).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back