Front Fender Removal 66 Chrysler

michiganhotrod1

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hello;
I removed both front fenders from my 66 Town and Country parts car today. The first took 4 plus hours, the second one hour. You may be interested in my learning curve.
There are a few tricks on this one that initially stumped me. I'll assume you know to pre-oil all the fasteners (Mopar 4318039AD is the best IMHO), and to get the odd fastener at the top of the door opening, and to read the (lousy) instructions in the shop manual.
Other tricks for this and similar beasts:
1. There is a hidden bracket on the rear of the fender about half way up the rear wheel opening, that requires you to remove, at least partially, the outer wheelhouse shield. A very small 7/16 socket or gear-wrench will be needed.
2. There are two diabolically hidden bolts at the bottom front of the fender, right behind the outer part of the bumper. See the picture of them, they are almost braille items.
3. The lower fender to radiator support stud will become rust welded to the support, needing a prybar to separate, even on my dry California car.
4. You will need to loosen the screws attaching the cowl (note, one hidden under the lower windshield molding), to free the fender, the mounting bracket there becomes trapped. Hope this helps someone. Mark

20200416_172547.jpg

20200416_175534 1.jpg

20200416_172838.jpg

Back