Fuel Gage not displaying properly

Umeracle

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I've got a 66 Chrysler 300 and I had issues with the fuel gage not displaying the correct amount of fuel. First I thought it was the fuel sending unit as I tested the electrical with a ground wire and that simulated a full tank of fuel but after getting the fuel sender unit replaced it still doesn't display the correct amount of fuel.

Any ideas what I can do ?

How "off" is the gauge from what's perceived to be in the tank? Generally, the gauges back then were pretty accurate, but not completely so. Over time, I learned what the marks meant on our '66 Newport Town Sedan, from use and paying attention to how much it took to fill it up each time.

If you read the FSM as to using the "gauge checker" device, there is some lee-way as to what is considered to be "accurate". And it should be a 25 gallon tank, on non-wagons, if that matters.

The gauge is off on my 67 Imperial. I just go by mileage on the trip meter. It averages 10 mpg so I fill up about 125-150 miles. LOL

I put a new tank and sending unit in my 68 NYer. When filled up it only indicated 5/8 - 3/4 of a tank. I pulled the sending unit and tweaked the arm that holds the float downward every so slightly. Now when full the needle is above full. This morning when I filled it this morning it was at half a tank and took just shy of 10 gallons. That's good enough for me.

I drilled a hole in the round disk of my sending unit and put a bolt / nut through it to make a ground connection to the sending unit. Bolt was about 1/8 or 3/16 inch. Soldered the back side to make it gas-tight. Connected a wire to the bolt and ran it to a good ground point somewhere in the trunk. If you don't do that, then the sending unit has (in my opinion) a questionable ground connection.

Back