Fuel pump repacement, what a *****:

bulldogchesty

Reaction score
Guys, I bought a replacement fuel pump for the 383 and decided yesterday to install it. What a mother. You can't get a wrench on the bolts, and it's not straight for a socket. Finally removed it and tried to install the new one. The fuel pump rod kept sliding down, I did try grease. I was using jackstands so I had no room. After fiddling with it for hours I finally got it in. I have done some hard things before, but that took the cake. I needed another two arms. Do we work on our cars because we enjoy it? That's my rant. Next is replacing brake lines. With me luck.

There's a plug to remove in the block that will allow you to push/hold the rod up. Just Monday morning q'backing.

get-photo.jpg

Anytime I'm working on a daily driver late model that is a real PITA job I often think of how nice it is to work on the older cars. Then when doing something on an older car and things aren't going well you realize that they too could be a major pain. That is when you realize that some guys golf, hunt, fish, etc. and here you are busting your knuckles on something almost (or over) 50 years old that if not for you would have been turned into soup cans a few decades earlier. When the job is done however you get the feeling of satisfaction and accomplishment as you drive down the road. So yeah, we feel your pain.

Guys, I bought a replacement fuel pump for the 383 and decided yesterday to install it. What a mother. You can't get a wrench on the bolts, and it's not straight for a socket. Finally removed it and tried to install the new one. The fuel pump rod kept sliding down, I did try grease. I was using jackstands so I had no room. After fiddling with it for hours I finally got it in. I have done some hard things before, but that took the cake. I needed another two arms. Do we work on our cars because we enjoy it? That's my rant. Next is replacing brake lines. With me luck.

I definitely agree. I just installed a new fuel pump on my rebuilt 440 while it was still on the engine stand. It was a definite *****, and I thought: "I'm sure glad I ain't trying to do this after the engine is in the car."

If it took you hours to change a fuel pump then it would be a job best left to someone else who knows what their doing. Under no circumstances should you try to change your timing chain.

Jack stands? I change the fuel pump from up top.

I've used the shorty socket and extension with success to remove the bolts. No issues here. 20-30 minute job.

Have you ever seen a timing chain job go bad? yeah. It's harsh alright..
I've had a thermostat job go bad.
And an oil change.
And a headlight replacement.
ALL "15 minute " jobs..
It was harsh calling Bulldog out like that.
He gave it a go and got it done without running to FaceBook and crying like a little girl.

Jack stands? I change the fuel pump from up top.

I've used the shorty socket and extension with success to remove the bolts. No issues here. 20-30 minute job.

Yes. But you have four foot arms!:poke:

The big problem is not only that shrouded rear bolt, but trying to hold the push rod up with one hand / finger while you try to insert the pump arm under it with the other hand / finger. Its a job an Asian girl can do pretty quickly.

And an oil change.
ALL "15 minute " jobs..
He gave it a go and got it done without running to FaceBook and crying like a little girl.

I once dumped six quarts of oil on the garage floor, because I forgot to re-install the drain plug. . . No kidding. . .

I once dumped six quarts of oil on the garage floor, because I forgot to re-install the drain plug. . . No kidding. . .
I once replaced a power door lock on my daily driver Taurus, got the hard to get back on door panel perfect , started gathering up my tools and then noticed my favorite ratchet was missing....

Last edited:
And an oil change.
ALL "15 minute " jobs..
It wasn't meant to be harsh, just a reminder that sometimes there are things that you really shouldn't get into if you're not familiar with or don't possess all the information on. My father in law once drained the tranny and added four more quarts to the engine. Wrong drain plug I guess. There's a lesson to be learned in a lot of our endeavors and as Clint Eastwood once said, "A man's got to know his limitations."

If it took you hours to change a fuel pump then it would be a job best left to someone else who knows what their doing. Under no circumstances should you try to change your timing chain.
Timing chain was a cake walk compared to to fuel pump. Let me know when you install one with the engine installed. No room.

Yes it gave me a hard time, but it was a pain in the ***. I do have the ability to work on any part of my car. Thanks for the back up Stan.

Don't worry about it. I took near 8 hours trying to get the passenger side header in the car. Aint always as simple as it should be. I get it.

Been there, done that, finally "ran to Youtube like a little girl" to find the trick with the grease to hold the plunger up. A one beer job that turned into a 6-pack, so it wasn't all bad!

The one on my 60' Lesabre took 15 minutes. On the Chrysler it took longer than that to dig through my toolbox to find the proper tools. I was thinking about holding one of the grandkids by his heels upside-down in the engine bay for a while there.

Back