fuel sending unit R & R

saylor

Reaction score
topfotank.jpghere is the target - the fuel sending unit in the top front of the gas tank. on the 68 fury III there is enough room to get in there and get this done without having to lift the car or anything really.

topfotank.jpg

Last edited:
old-new-sending-unit.jpg old sending unit and new sending unit from summit. slightly different physically. fit right in though, and the gauge on the dash looks like it is close to accurate.

old-new-sending-unit.jpg

That sending unit looks a lot better. I hope that solves your problem. Good job!

tank-ring-removal-tool.jpg take a 2" piece of PVC pipe. Cut 4 notches in it across from each other. Then drill some holes in between the notches. The notches will grab the tank ring, and the holes are where you can put a screwdriver through to turn with. easy peasy.

Soak the whole sending unit area on the tank in PB blaster about every 30 minutes for a couple of hours. Then I soaped it up with a nylon bristle brush and hot water, then more PB blaster. Came loose pretty easy after all that.

DO NOT USE METAL TOOLS WHEN WORKING HERE - USE BRASS, ALUMINUM, WOOD, or PLASTIC. SOMETHING THAT DOESNT SPARK.

I tried to siphon out gas from the filler tube before starting, and I really didn't have too much luck. The siphon tube in tank kept getting above the gas level and sputtered out.

I finally unhooked the rubber hose at the other end and let it drip itself out.

Next I put the removal tool ^^ over the ring and used a bar to turn the tool. When the ring unsealed, gas started dripping out pretty good, so I left the ring loose and slid a pan under the car to catch the gas and went away for a while.

tank-ring-removal-tool.jpg

after the gas quit dripping out, I went ahead and pulled the old sending unit out.

the new unit has a new lock ring and rubber. put the rubber on and lightly coat it with grease on both sides. the rubber ring goes on the inside - over the sock and float, that way. see pic above on old unit where the rubber goes.

drop the new unit in. make sure its flush in there. Then put on the new lock ring. I had to use the removal tool ^^ to get the new ring back on over the little lock tab things.

put new rubber connector hose on, and put the ground strap back on. Hook up the sender wire. Grab your favorite adult beverage - you're done.
new-sending-unit-in.jpg

new-sending-unit-in.jpg

so far yes it has. yesterday i completed the work and ran the motor up to temp, and it kept gas in the filter and kept the car running. there is probably nothing wrong with the mechanical FP, and it was probably the sending unit the whole time. today will be a better test, it should be 95*+ outside today, it was cool yesterday outside. this morning i went and got a vacuum gauge to attempt to dial in the carb mixture screws...i couldnt do this for the last 2 weeks b/c the damn thing kept starving for fuel... hopefully it will keep fuel and i can get the carb right and we can make it around the block once or twice woohoo.

[/SIZE]The pick-up is the tube in your tank that picks up the fuel. It's a part of the sending unit and has a "sock" on the end which may be clogged. Once I used orange RTV to seal my sending unit to the tank on a 64 300, big mistake....! It found its way into the tank and after driving for awile would find its way into the fuel pickup and stop the fuel flow.
After sitting awile it would drop back into the tank and the car would start and run again..... Until it found it's way back into the pickup. It took a couple of rollback rides home before I figured that out.

Read the above post Will is answering your question. The pick-up comes out very easy, just make sure you have less then half a tank before you remove the locking ring.

Will nailed it. Matt backed him up. Good job, guys.

I woke up at about 4am, said "I SMELL GASOLINE", farted loudly, and went back to sleep.

sure enough, when i went out to look at the car this morning, the sending unit ring was leaky.

I have the old ring and new ring in hand, and they are not the same. im gonna recenter the gasket after comparing gasket thickness to the old one and then put the old metal ring back on. when the gas quits dripping on my head.

oh yeah in case you are trying this at home - always have the negative battery unhooked before you go farting around with stuff.

I woke up at about 4am, said "I SMELL GASOLINE", farted loudly, and went back to sleep.

sure enough, when i went out to look at the car this morning, the sending unit ring was leaky.

I have the old ring and new ring in hand, and they are not the same. im gonna recenter the gasket after comparing gasket thickness to the old one and then put the old metal ring back on. when the gas quits dripping on my head.

I had the same problem with my sending unit. I ended up re-using both the old gasket and ring. The new ring was only about 1/2 the thickness of the original and the gasket was also a bit thinner.

gastank-lockring.jpg the old sending unit lock ring and the new one. the new one is about 1/4" short per tab, and there are 3 tabs, so it didn't cover a lot of the gasket area. putting the old ring back on has fixed the leak. also the shape of the locking tab part is really different.

gastank-lockring.jpg

I replaced my sender unit with a 3/8 line one, and used the old locking ring, the new one was way too thin and was too loose. Fortunately no leaks-but it shows 3/4's when tank is full so out it comes again.

Back