Fuel tank fight, er, install

Brad Nelson

Reaction score
I won, but everything hurts and I'm going to die.
A lot of people on the A-body forum said how much a pain putting a fuel tank in the second gen Barracuda was.
That job was a cake walk compared to the wrestling match I had today putting the new fuel tank in Furyosa!

20220909_165540.jpg

Hi Brad. What made it so hard?
Usually fuel tanks go in fairly easy on my fuselage cars. thanks, Ben
1970 Fury
6 TS & TK FRONT.jpg

7 TS TOP.jpg

12 FN LS.jpg

They can be a PITA, especially if you are doing the job by yourself. Also, we aren't getting any younger either. That has something to do with how you feel. Finished job looks good though.

Yeah, it was an 800mg pain killer job.
My old man said I'd pay for all that abuse I put my body under when I was younger.
I certainly wish Mother Mopar had that bolt on flange for the fuel filler neck on the slab sides.
Mine's a weld on tang, clip nut and a sheet metal screw from in the trunk.

How empty was the tank? Just curious . . .

Yeah, it was an 800mg pain killer job.
My old man said I'd pay for all that abuse I put my body under when I was younger.
I certainly wish Mother Mopar had that bolt on flange for the fuel filler neck on the slab sides.
Mine's a weld on tang, clip nut and a sheet metal screw from in the trunk.
At least you got it done!
It does suck that it takes 2 days to recover from a big-day job

Undersized pressed steel jackstands on gravel, luckily it's flat, I've been around two rigs that have fallen off while on jackstands all the way around, neither time was on a proper driveway or garage floor. It happens in a split second and doesn't do the car any favors, nevermind the potential fatality aspect.

Personally, I'd back up onto a set of ramps, silly easy with an auto trans.

How empty was the tank? Just curious . . .
Because I never trust the sending unit seals first go 'round, I had put a couple gallons in it and set it on end to test.
I know I got most of the gas out, but there was probably a half gallon still in it (not helping).

Undersized pressed steel jackstands on gravel, luckily it's flat, I've been around two rigs that have fallen off while on jackstands all the way around, neither time was on a proper driveway or garage floor. It happens in a split second and doesn't do the car any favors, nevermind the potential fatality aspect.

Personally, I'd back up onto a set of ramps, silly easy with an auto trans.
Never liked or trusted pressed steel ramps.
I may be mis-informed, but 4 two-ton rated jack stands seem to be more than capable.
Usually I would put it on my lift in the shop, but my Barracuda is currently there.

272793941_4666566526730118_3506318651778847223_n.jpg

I envy people with garages with lifts, but yours might be even better with what appears to be a very big cd collection

I envy people with garages with lifts, but yours might be even better with what appears to be a very big cd collection
The lift was one of those "being in the right place at the right time" deals.
That's only about 1/4 of my CD's.
I rip my music to a dedicated hard drive for most of my listening pleasure, then box them up. Since I put an old fashioned "boom box" in the shop I've only had time to get out so much.

The CD's sound better than the rips last time I checked, which is why I will always have mine, and cassettes, and a whole lotta vinyl.

Crazy story involving garage music and jackstands locally some time back... dude playing crazy loud metal in his garage, I'm guessing working on a Camaro, neighbors tried but they couldn't stop him from blasting his stereo, and while working under the car the jackstands gave way, pinned him, by his head, and no amount of screaming could get anyone's attention, for a while anyway, someone noticed and he was rescued.

Most municipalities have "Noise Ordinances", but the "quiet times" usually do not start until 10pm, no matter how much the neighbors might complain.

One of my neighbors is a retired sheriff's officer plays his house stereo louder than what I have going in the shop at any given time.
That is until I fire up the Barracuda; built 440 with headers and 3" exhaust.
Then everyone knows it's me!
With that said though, there is a young family across the street with a new born and I've been a parent. I won't be obnoxious after around 8pm.

Back