FURYIOUS update

C Body Bob

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
Well I finally started FURYIOUS up Saturday for the first time in 14 months. After months of preparation & countless hours working on it. I primed the engine twice in recent months yet when the engine came to life there was no oil pressure. The lifters clanging & rattling like mad. I quickly shut it down. Rechecked everything. No problems found. Restarted it again & still no oil pressure. Pulled the dizzy & oil pump drive shaft out & tried to prime the engine & still no oil pressure. Removed the K&N oil filter & with no filter on the engine I hit the drill again. It took a few seconds before finally it spit out a lot of oil & some air. Installed a Fram filter & hit the priming drill again & it has pressure at full blast. Cut the drill RPM back half way & oil pressure drops to 10. I think I have a bad oil pump. So much for the new bearings I installed.

The one time I used a K&N oil filter, I had the same problem. That was on an older engine that was running perfectly 10-15 minutes before installing the K&N oil filter. Took it off, put a napa gold on, problem solved. Never spent the extra money on the K&N again. Never had the problem again. Hopefully no damage was done to your fresh build.

How long did it run and how many RPM did it see?

when you primed it twice in recent months did it have oil pressure?

Was this a new engine and first ever start up? or has it run before?

How long did it run and how many RPM did it see?

when you primed it twice in recent months did it have oil pressure?

Was this a new engine and first ever start up? or has it run before?
20-25 seconds tops
Just idle & throttle it to try to keep it running
Yes it primed fine. To 70 psi
New crank bearings std size

I say your bearings are fine. Plenty of oil in them from being primed twice. And you didn’t rev it up or run it very long.

but this happening doesn’t make you feel good and you want to go and race it.

One time I changed oil & filter [NAPA gold] on a nice engine and drove to the races 10 miles. 12 second car. Idle it up to front of staging I look down Before pulling into burnout and oil pressure is zero! I shut it off and push it off.
Check oil pump drive-OK
Remove pressure relief valve -clean and nice.
Go get a new oil filter, K&N, put it on and oil pressure is normal. Never had the problem before or again. Been just fine for years.

So what was it? A bad filter? This is a nice engine with good parts and good maintenance, well taken care of. Shift at 5400.

Last edited:
Back