Gas Gauge Fix

When I removed the regulator from the instrument cluster I noticed an adjustment on the underside. Turning it allows you to set the gauge. Start with a full tank and adjust if necessary. You will need to remove and install it several times to do this. Make sure to turn off the key when doing this. This won't account for non linearity in the sending unit. If the range is wrong all you can do is adjust for a correct full reading.

FWIW, while you can remove/install with a brass punch and a hammer, and I've done that, the wrench makes it easier.

I've always just used a flat screwdriver, as a drift or crossways like a lever. No difficulties.

What's all the fuss?
For me, I'm trying to show my 16 year old some patience & how to do things without "man handing" them (not that your method wont "work"). His favorite tool is a Dewalt impact wrench & even though he's broken many bolts on his Jeep project he still thinks it's the way to go. Being I'm an old fart the Plymouth will end up in his hands sooner than later & being it's been in the family since new I'd like him to show it at least some respect:)

90% of the fuel sender leaks that are attributed to a too thin of gasket, is actually the sender locking ring not perfectly centered. The actual tool helps achieve centering success. The screw driver or punch method can also be successful, if you can attack it from both sides to keep it centered.
I believe I had my sending unit in an out about 5 times while honing in on gas gauge and sending unit perfection. Every time it leaked it was due to the lock ring being a little off center.

90% of the fuel sender leaks that are attributed to a too thin of gasket, is actually the sender locking ring not perfectly centered. The actual tool helps achieve centering success. The screw driver or punch method can also be successful, if you can attack it from both sides to keep it centered.
I believe I had my sending unit in an out about 5 times while honing in on gas gauge and sending unit perfection. Every time it leaked it was due to the lock ring being a little off center.

True, the ring centering is critical as it wants to move all over the place. I wish the sending unit had a thicker flange with six screws holding it to the tank; that would be a lot more secure.

Interesting note - when i removed my original tank, sending unit, and gasket a few years ago, the 40+ year-old rubber gasket was in great shape, with no cracks. In the multiple tank drops and sending unit removals since (because you can never just do it once these days), the "new" gasket is already cracked and looks like hell, I've had to replace it already.

For me, I'm trying to show my 16 year old some patience & how to do things without "man handing" them (not that your method wont "work"). His favorite tool is a Dewalt impact wrench & even though he's broken many bolts on his Jeep project he still thinks it's the way to go. Being I'm an old fart the Plymouth will end up in his hands sooner than later & being it's been in the family since new I'd like him to show it at least some respect:)

Good luck! I'll pray for you. We forget our own adolescence too often. I should have been kept in a cage.....

True, the ring centering is critical as it wants to move all over the place. I wish the sending unit had a thicker flange with six screws holding it to the tank; that would be a lot more secure.

Interesting note - when i removed my original tank, sending unit, and gasket a few years ago, the 40+ year-old rubber gasket was in great shape, with no cracks. In the multiple tank drops and sending unit removals since (because you can never just do it once these days), the "new" gasket is already cracked and looks like hell, I've had to replace it already.

I'm using the old gasket and lockring with my new sino-repop, which shows a range from ~15-35 ohms. Will try another sending unit when I feel lucky. At least I know that F is now Full, while 5/8 means FUMES. Such RANGE and Kwalitee!

Back