gas...or no gas?

70Tom

Reaction score
OK, so I have a bit of MIG welding coming up on the Sport Fury. First thing I'm going to do is pull the rear window, clean out the window channel, and see how bad the rust is and what needs replacing. There is a very small area on the tulip panel (I think that's what the area between the trunk lid and the window is called) that needs to be cut out. That's about the extent of welding needed on exposed to the eye metal. Other than that, I'll be welding part of the passenger front floor and then the trunk (which I suppose could warrant the gas).

My question stems from this: I forgot how friggin' expensive gas is for a MIG welder. Or more succinctly, how expensive the bottle is for the gas. I must have dropped $300 on the large bottle of it I used to have years ago. I'd rather put the $ to other things this car needs if possible.

So, the question is: should I drop the large amount of money on this even though there's not much of the weld that will show, or just go ahead and get it due to way cleaner welds and way less splatter?

Dutchman panel. And buy a smaller bottle. I have a 55cf bottle, actually 3 of them (two of which I paid $25 for the pair), costs me $27 for 75/25 each.

Where did you get the actual bottles so cheap? I am not finding them that low. To fill, sure.

Got lucky at a local auction down here. Didn't want to buy them but at that price I couldn't pass em up.

Gas is a must, much cleaner welds IMHO. I had to replace my bottle since the inspection was out of date. Total cost was $67 from the local welding supply shop.

Gas is a must, much cleaner welds IMHO. I had to replace my bottle since the inspection was out of date. Total cost was $67 from the local welding supply shop.
$67 is not bad at all. How small of a bottle did you get?

OR just get the big bottle filled. Once you start cutting and welding, you're going to find more. We always do. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

OR just get the big bottle filled. Once you start cutting and welding, you're going to find more. We always do. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
I no longer have the big bottle. Sold it and my welder years ago (needed the cash). Just picked up a smaller MIG recently.

$67 is not bad at all. How small of a bottle did you get?
I don't know the exact capacity, it is small, here is a picture of it.
welder01.jpg

Ohhhh, well then. You should be able to get a 40 for under $200 filled the first go 'round.

*Edit* NM that's a 20. 20 bucks to fill it. If that.

*edit 2* where's the regulator?

You can buy smaller bottle at gas/welding supply places. You can also rent a bottle.

So moral of the story is, get the gas, even if I have to go with a smaller bottle.....

Even the small bottles will last quite a while.

Don't use the flux core. You won't be happy.

Ohhhh, well then. You should be able to get a 40 for under $200 filled the first go 'round.

*Edit* NM that's a 20. 20 bucks to fill it. If that.

*edit 2* where's the regulator?
LOL, I didn't buy one. There is a little button that pops out, and when I stop hearing the hiss after I pull the trigger, it's time to fill 'er up again.

Back