Barracuda rear widow

Big_John

Illegitimi non carborundum
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Anyone who owns an early Barracuda has heard the TV reality story where the assclowns broke a rear window and how valuable and rare it is. At about every show, you get someone that believed it telling you the story.

One other thing is just about every early Barracuda owner has is a spare rear window. I had one too.

Truth is that you can't give these away... and if you need one, you could find one for $150 easily.

I think this happened Sunday... I went into my shed today and everything was covered in broken glass. The window hadn't been touched since I put it in the shed a few years ago.... The best description I could give is it exploded.

FP1gGNm.jpg

AeqAaus.jpg

Before this window was in my shed, it was in my garage. I even remember dropping a couple tools on it. I had it outside on my patio for a while... It even spent a winter there. It was "safe" in the shed.

I think the heat got to it... It was in the loft in the top of the shed. At least that's all I can think happened. I knew it was there Saturday morning because the stuff I moved (a radiator) had glass on it.

PDdMQ8Y.jpg

Anyone who owns an early Barracuda has heard the TV reality story where the assclowns broke a rear window and how valuable and rare it is. At about every show, you get someone that believed it telling you the story.

One other thing is just about every early Barracuda owner has is a spare rear window. I had one too.

Truth is that you can't give these away... and if you need one, you could find one for $150 easily.

I think this happened Sunday... I went into my shed today and everything was covered in broken glass. The window hadn't been touched since I put it in the shed a few years ago.... The best description I could give is it exploded.

View attachment 606671
View attachment 606672

Before this window was in my shed, it was in my garage. I even remember dropping a couple tools on it. I had it outside on my patio for a while... It even spent a winter there. It was "safe" in the shed.

I think the heat got to it... It was in the loft in the top of the shed. At least that's all I can think happened. I knew it was there Saturday morning because the stuff I moved (a radiator) had glass on it.

View attachment 606673
Yet if you go to a swap larger Mopar Swap meet you can pick one up for $100 or less. (usually less) The sellers get tired of packing them up and hauling them around.

Yet if you go to a swap larger Mopar Swap meet you can pick one up for $100 or less. (usually less) The sellers get tired of packing them up and hauling them around.
What is somewhat ironic about this is I was talking to @march Saturday at the Syracuse Nationals about moving a '60 Impala 4 door hardtop rear window on Saturday. Same scenario, this guy was tired of lugging it around and was gave it to the guy that had a '60 Impala 4dr hardtop. That is a one year, one model window with a huge wrap around that the right person might want, but finding that right person can be hard.

1689643978276.png

‘59 - ‘62 Impala, just about the only old Chevy I would want to own.

Surprising, I remember hearing about how indestructible the Barracuda windows are, how they used to drop them at the factory on purpose just to show the durability. Heat sucks, not just for humans.

I have my windshield from the ‘73 that I plan on using. I see it all the time in the basement wrapped in foam noodles, hoping that it holds out just a little longer.

It could have been the heat alone but it could have started with the smallest chip or ding. It doesn't take much.

I saw one at carlisle for a ridiculous price. I don't remember, something like 1500. Taped on description said it was ultra rare!
Funny how they are always 100 bucks or a bunch of money because of their rarity.

I saw one at carlisle for a ridiculous price. I don't remember, something like 1500. Taped on description said it was ultra rare!
Funny how they are always 100 bucks or a bunch of money because of their rarity.
Yeah I always thought they were very rare when I'd see a Barracuda intact rear window in a boneyard picture and that it should be saved, but also thought good luck with getting it out of the car without breaking it.
That would be good for a 'Extreme Challenge' TV-Series!

:lol:

View attachment 606671
View attachment 606672

View attachment 606673
John was it laying flat or was it on edge?

Every time I see a glass truck in traffic I think 'Now that's not a job for me'. heh

Yeah I always thought they were very rare when I'd see a Barracuda intact rear window in a boneyard picture and that it should be saved, but also thought good luck with getting it out of the car without breaking it.
That would be good for a 'Extreme Challenge' TV-Series!

:lol:
They aren't that hard to remove and replace. It does take two people to lower it on the car though.

I removed mine when my headliner guy said the windshield and rear window had to come out... Of course, then he got there and said "Oh, you didn't need to do that". :BangHead:
John was it laying flat or was it on edge?

Every time I see a glass truck in traffic I think 'Now that's not a job for me'. heh

It was laying on its edges, best I can describe is it was setting just like it would in the car. When I had it in my shop, I had it leaned so it sat on the back corner with a pool noodle under the edge. I had just set the window down on the wooden shelf and thought the pool noodles weren't needed.

Stored underneath it was a spare side window for my '70 300 and that wasn't touched.

I have been known to break some glass... I can be a bull in a China shop at times. My Ranger.

ZK75aSt.jpg

Back