Gas Tank Sender Gasket......Sealer??

66furys

Reaction score
Have read numerous stories of problems with the sender gaskets. Some say two gaskets, some say just use new lock ring. I am thinking of a special sealer, gas impervious, and just a smidge to improve sealing. I have found that with the original lock ring that was damaged, the seal is not tight, can spin the sender. Two gaskets are pretty tight. I want to take the new sender with one gasket and new lock ring, and see how tight it fits, hope it will not spin. And in my nervous way, am thinking of just a bit of aviation sealer on the gasket. Thoughts appreciated. Permatex has no problems with rubber on data sheets, and I am doing a test on the old rubber to see how it holds up for now.

The problem is the new rings are too thin. You want to re-use your old one or find a NOS one.

Last edited:
A good point.....have not measured the several new ones to compare.....BUT my old one is hugely crushed with use at this point. The gaskets are interesting and only have crush over about half of the diameter. But, I will do some more measuring. Thanks

If you have to use an aftermarket lock ring put 2 gaskets on it. It's worked a couple of times for me.

Probably much better to NOT use any type of sealer with the gaskets. Use them dry. Get a good seal with them only.

Some Permatex aircraft grade sealers might be impervious to fuels, but that does not mean they might degrade a bit over time and cause problems in the fuel system.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

they do make a fuel proof sealer...its main application is for 2 stroke crankcases...but i've never tried it

Thank you one and all. I went back and did more homework.....strange for an ME not to have done more earlier. But, I had purchased from a couple suppliers, including one that made the ring special. What I found today is summarized on the photo....but here is bottom line. Most of my rings are about 50 mils thick sheet. The one I just got from Detroit Muscle is much thicker and has much higher dimple. With the thin gasket I almost resorted to banging down the dimple to ease install. Second go around I really leaneed on the wrench and it went around...very Dxxxd tight now. I will send a not back to them in thanks...have been struggling with the fuller grommet, and seemed to finally have answers there too. Thanks again for support here on my issues....helpful.

fuel tank senderr rings gaskets.jpg

Have read numerous stories of problems with the sender gaskets. Some say two gaskets, some say just use new lock ring. I am thinking of a special sealant.
I reuse the old gasket. I use permatex 80019 aviation on both sides. It's a liquid. So it can get a little messy. But seals up great.

Following - my wagon's tank recently leaked at the sender, then all of a sudden stopped - and has remained dry ever since. I have the new sender gasket, but never installed it. I figured best leave well enough alone!

Back