Gears change nightmare

An 8¼ in a '74 Fury????

Bluesmobile came factory with an 8.25 behind the 360.

Where can I buy online the broken adjuster? is it an easy to find part or I'm in the middle of a huge problem?

I have the old 8.25 out of the bluesmobile. Can see if I can get the adjusters off if interested. Let me know if you need any more parts off of it.

74 fury with a 400-2 that I took apart a few years ago had a 8.25 under it

Cordoba with the 400-2 has it too. Looks way too wimpy lol

Going by his "handle" and avatar pic, he has a 75 NYB-which means he'll very likely have a 9.25 diff behind the 440/727 standard drivetrain. The 9.25 Diff cover has a fill hole...On my past Imperials, it was a threaded plug that over the years rusted and deformed...I replaced it with a rubber plug used on later trucks like you see here (highly recommended).

I don't know what year they transitioned to the rubber plug.

View attachment 80790

Hmmm.. The 9.25 just installed in the blumo out of a 74 fury had the rubber plug. Looked original too. I put a newer cover on it off a truck with the rubber plug too.

Going by his "handle" and avatar pic, he has a 75 NYB-which means he'll very likely have a 9.25 diff behind the 440/727 standard drivetrain. The 9.25 Diff cover has a fill hole...On my past Imperials, it was a threaded plug that over the years rusted and deformed...I replaced it with a rubber plug used on later trucks like you see here (highly recommended).

I don't know what year they transitioned to the rubber plug.

View attachment 80790

Had the car in the air this morning.. The one pictured is what i have. Not sure of the ratio though. Dif cover with the rubber plug. Looks like I'll open the cover, clean out 41 years worth of god knows what and put clean fluid in..Thanks guys.

Had the car in the air this morning.. The one pictured is what i have. Not sure of the ratio though. Dif cover with the rubber plug. Looks like I'll open the cover, clean out 41 years worth of god knows what and put clean fluid in..Thanks guys.

If that's a limited slip rear, be careful what fluid you put in it.

Do tell... It was recommended to use 75W/90 gear oil.. What do you recommend?
Just remember to add some friction modifier to the new oil for proper operation of the sure-grip.
Multi-Purpose Gear Lubricant, as defined by the American Petroleum Institute GL-5 should be used in all rear axles with conventional differentials; MOPAR Hypoid Lubricant, Part No. 4318058 is an oil of this type and is recommended or equivalent.

In Sure-Grip Differentials 4 ounces (.1183 litres) of MOPAR Hypoid Gear Oil Additive Friction Modifier, Part No. 4318060 equivalent must be included with this fill.

I finished this job the past week, my rear end is a chrysler 8.25 but the real problem was into the installation kit I bought

If someone is planning to do this job be careful and stay away of this kit: Motive Gear Super Ring and Pinion Gear Installation Kits R825RSKT
Both carrier bearings and inner pinion bearing are wrong for chrysler 8.25, don't waste your money!

The excel pinion and ring works great, the car response is a LOT better but I'm still a bit disappointed, my car isn't still burning rubber launching at wot in first gear

That's interesting to see an 8.25 rear cover without a rubber plug. I think I can order a cover for a newer Jeep Liberty which still uses an 8.25 rear that will have the provision for a rubbler plug as I had to order a cover for my old 90 Dakota Convertible that had an 8.25 rear with 3.90.1 (non-limited slip) ironically. As for a fluid, its pricey but, I use Amsoil Severe Gear.

Back