Getting the best look from a subpar paint job

old lady eating popcorn.jpg

My personal experience, I have never been able to do anything with a heavy oxidized paint job but with the variable speed buffer.

I have the sponge type buffer too, I use it on new cars which haven't been neglected or Goldie with a new paint job. :)

My personal experience, I have never been able to do anything with a heavy oxidized paint job but with the variable speed buffer.

I have the sponge type buffer too, I use it on new cars which haven't been neglected or Goldie with a new paint job. :)

The rotary type buffer is good if you know what you are doing. No doubt about it. It' quicker and more more aggressive. But if you've never handled one, you can do a lot of damage with it. I've seen it happen. I have done some cars (and a boat!) with a rotary and I've had really good results... But I was lucky that I was taught by someone that was a real artist with one.

The dual action buffer (what you are calling a sponge buffer) is a pretty handy piece. It's not as aggressive, so it will take a little longer, but the proper foam pad (more aggressive) and a good compound will make all the difference. I've brought back a couple really bad finishes with mine. My rotary stays in the cabinet.

IMHO, someone that has never done anything like this is much better starting off with the DA buffer... It will take longer, but the results will be better, it will be harder to screw up the paint, and you'll have a tool that is more versatile when you're done.

Here's a video showing a good method. A couple things to note. One is that he used a clay bar first to clean the paint and the other is that he used an aggressive foam pad. He's also hawking all his company's product, but that's to be expected.

This is a real good "basics" video on polishing paint. This guy is pretty good.

This is an obligatory "clouds in the hood" pic of a black Grand Prix GTP I used to own. The paint was covered in swirls and buffer marks from some "pro" that detailed the car. It was a mess. A few hours with my DA buffer and some good compounds gave me this.

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi22.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fb340%2FBig-John%2FNFJune06_0243.jpg

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi22.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fb340%2FBig-John%2FNFJune06_0248.jpg

God, I love black cars...

I will concede to the wisdom of Big John. I probably never had the right combination of pads and product with my DA to get the results I wanted.

I will also confess I didn't have the balls to buff out the clear on Goldie after she was repainted, left that to a professional. :)

I cut my teeth with the rotary, on my work trucks and vans, which where also the first vehicles I ever painted. I probably learned the most from my first 2 stage paint job, in which I had a applied a horrible heavy clear. I was able to buff it down with 3 different compounds and no burn through, and was very happy with the end results, since then I haven't strayed much from that combination or equipment.

If you think you have an old repaint, unless you know what type of paint it is I would not use any type of cutting compound or a buffer without some small trial patches in a less visible area. If the car has old enamel paint without a hardener compound and buffer will just remove whatever gloss it may have. If it is old enamel you can use a low speed buffer with just liquid wax on a foam pad and that may clean it up without damage.

If you think you have an old repaint, unless you know what type of paint it is I would not use any type of cutting compound or a buffer without some small trial patches in a less visible area. If the car has old enamel paint without a hardener compound and buffer will just remove whatever gloss it may have. If it is old enamel you can use a low speed buffer with just liquid wax on a foam pad and that may clean it up without damage.
That's a really good point. Single stage with hardener has been around so long that we all start to take it for granted that it's not the old enamel that will lose its gloss if you cut through the outer surface.

Hmmm...unfortunately I have no idea what kind of paint is on this car. To me it doesn't look like a really old paint job that is weather-worn and oxidized, rather it just looks like crappy paint, but I could be wrong. Could a well-trained eye tell just by looking at it?

Post some pictures sometime. Outside under the sun at different angles would help too.

Back