Getting to Know my 1962 Chrysler 300

I appreciate the 62 300s quite a bit as well and owned and restored two of them. I let the black one go a few years ago but still have the letter 300H:

View attachment 394671 View attachment 394672 View attachment 394674 View attachment 394675 View attachment 394676 View attachment 394677

View attachment 394681

The 62 model 300 was also viewed by some 270 million people in this well known video in which it was a centerpiece:

Needs some skirts Steve....:poke::rofl:

Wow what a beauty Steve!

What exhaust manifold is on that car, it's not the soldier upswept max wedge ones
I had a chance to go work on the 300 yesterday. I double checked the exhaust manifolds although I couldn't get a number off them. They are the downswept version from the 63 300J. Like these
50297929996_aa7fe231d7_z.jpg
1963 Chrysler 300 J Exhaust Manifold by Jim Harris, on Flickr

Nicely tucked in but I'd guess that they are tuned more for the ram tube set-up than the short stack inline dual quad, but there it is. Any opinions on those manifolds?

I think I found a source for a 1 1/8" manual master cylinder, so that's next on the list. The service manual shows the same master cylinder used on the Dodge 880, so I was able to cross reference to a current number. At least I can get it to work well enough to get it out of the back yard!

Jim, Those Manifolds were standard in all the '63 300J letter cars AND the '64 Ram 300Ks. And what little information I've been able to Glean those manifold's were also used on the few water heated 300H cars('bout ah half a dozen). My suggestion would be if you're going to use those manifolds would be to block off the heat riser ports in those exhaust manifolds and just let the radiant heat from "worm up" do it's job. FWI, I water heated The Ram K setup I had in the Batwagon 15 years ago and found very little difference in performance during worm up. Just $ spent and even very little eye candy 'cuz no one knew what they were looking at with the extra snakes in top of that 440 engine, Jer

Thanks, Jer, yes, 63 and 64 J and K cars. In my case the manifolds have nothing to heat since it's on the 62 inline dual quad arrangement and the crossover is blocked also. I've had ample experience warming up cars with no manifold heat here in Southern California but I'm sure it will be taken to another level once we move to WA.
Jim

Thanks, Jer, yes, 63 and 64 J and K cars. In my case the manifolds have nothing to heat since it's on the 62 inline dual quad arrangement and the crossover is blocked also. I've had ample experience warming up cars with no manifold heat here in Southern California but I'm sure it will be taken to another level once we move to WA.
Jim
What I'm saying Jim iz the those Cast Iron headers have TWO machined holes in each Header. 4 holes per set. You're going to have to fabricate Block Off plates for those 4 holes or it's going to be very noisy and smelly in your travels, Jer

What I'm saying Jim iz the those Cast Iron headers have TWO machined holes in each Header. 4 holes per set. You're going to have to fabricate Block Off plates for those 4 holes or it's going to be very noisy and smelly in your travels, Jer
I guess so, but this was a running car with this set-up and the plugs are already fabricated. The car has been sitting in my brother's back yard for 20 years and he passed away last year. But before that he was active with the car, driving it to shows. I am just trying to come up to speed with what's on the car and was asked what exhaust manifolds it has on it.

I guess so, but this was a running car with this set-up and the plugs are already fabricated. The car has been sitting in my brother's back yard for 20 years and he passed away last year. But before that he was active with the car, driving it to shows. I am just trying to come up to speed with what's on the car and was asked what exhaust manifolds it has on it.
Well I guess I answered that question and then some. BTW, Big Bucks, like $2000+ if you decide to part with them, and no I'm not interested at any price. Jer

Actually, I was answering a question the Furious70 asked. I asked no question that you answered.

Back