Ghosting

W.Weiland

Reaction score
I’m sure we have all been there

you list a part or car

at a reasonable price

you get a few tire kickers which is normal and to be expected

but what frosts my corn flakes is someone says I’ll take it. How you want handle $$$ it’s all agreed upon

then it’s

Probably the same folks that come on here, ask a question, get the answer(s) then never respond or can't seem to find the Thanks button.

Doesn't bother me a bit.
I don't consider the car or parts sold until the money has been brought to the bank and verified as good.
If somebody says I'll take the car/part and somebody else comes up with cash, first person with cash gets it.

Doesn't bother me a bit.
I don't consider the car or parts sold until the money has been brought to the bank and verified as good.
If somebody says I'll take the car/part and somebody else comes up with cash, first person with cash gets it.
And I agree with this comment. I talking about people who express interest
you spend time and ………………….
it’s like it’s a recreational hobby of some sort

You have to expect people to ask questions about what you're selling, doesn't bother me a bit.
No matter what somebody tells me over the phone or in person I don't consider it a sale until the money is in my account.
I make it clear to the buyer that I will wait no more than 30 minutes past the agreed upon time for them to come over.

You have to expect people to ask questions about what you're selling, doesn't bother me a bit.
No matter what somebody tells me over the phone or in person I don't consider it a sale until the money is in my account.
I make it clear to the buyer that I will wait no more than 30 minutes past the agreed upon time for them to come over.
As long as you are honoring the buyers word (if he mails a check) in that you hold the part until the check arrives, this is a great way to make a sale
If you sell the part while the check is in the mail to someone who offers cash, then no.

You didn’t clarify that enough, so I don’t know exactly how you operate, but one could infer that you take cash at the first opportunity.

As long as you are honoring the buyers word (if he mails a check) in that you hold the part until the check arrives, this is a great way to make a sale
If you sell the part while the check is in the mail to someone who offers cash, then no.

You didn’t clarify that enough, so I don’t know exactly how you operate, but one could infer that you take cash at the first opportunity.
I make it clear to the buyer if they want to send a check they take the risk of loosing the purchase if someone comes up with the money before the check arrives/clears the bank.

If the item is sold before the check arrives/clears the money is refunded.
I don't sell anything on a promise.

I make it clear to the buyer if they want to send a check they take the risk of loosing the purchase if someone comes up with the money before the check arrives/clears the bank.

If the item is sold before the check arrives/clears the money is refunded.
I don't sell anything on a promise.
I’m glad that you clarified that and that you do so with perspective buyers.

I should also add that I notify someone as soon as possible who tells me that their sending me a check that the item has been sold hopefully catching them before it is sent.

I've also had serious buyers offer to overnight a cashiers/bank check from the bank of my choosing.

When you let buyers know you will not wait on them to decide if they really want what you're selling you weed out the tire kickers.

There are a lot of "data collectors" out there as I call them. They act interested to get your phone, address, name etc etc., then ghost you. Selling online used to be fun and semi lucrative. Not anymore. The miscreants (again) have ruined everything.

I gave away something for free on CL last year and was asked for my full name, address and SS! Yes it's true. Could not believe it. Of course I obliged as it's the polite thing to do
:rofl:

I should also add that I notify someone as soon as possible who tells me that their sending me a check that the item has been sold hopefully catching them before it is sent.

I've also had serious buyers offer to overnight a cashiers/bank check from the bank of my choosing.

When you let buyers know you will not wait on them to decide if they really want what you're selling you weed out the tire kickers.
I agree, but you also cause those who can’t get you the $ that quickly to go elsewhere. It’s your choice.

all great comments of exactly what I feel..
sometimes I can’t get those thoughts out without sounding off centered

It's not hard to tell when a buyer knows what they're doing. The more questions the better.
If they say they're coming to get it, then it's here when they get here.
The buyer is the one doing the driving and taking the risk. All I got to do is make it available when a buyer does show up with the cash.
If they bring a check, then the bank had better be open or no sale.

Back