Good brake bleeding wrench

Zymurgy

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
When I rebuilt my brake system the new wheel cylinders have 7mm nipples to bleed the brakes. The front brake drums are nearly impossible to bleed with just and open end wrench.

What is the best kind of brake wrench to bleed the front lines and does it come in a 7mm?

you may have to search a little .. I tried and most of the 5 piece sets only go down to 9 MM

Tell me if I am wrong. I thought a normal flare/line wrench didn't fit, in the tight confines of the front drum.

Get a set of ignition wrenches. You may need a socket to loosen/final tighten, but the ignition set will do the trick for bleeding.

Here's a Craftsman SAE and Metric set that will take care of everything. I've had a set of these for years and they come in handy a lot.

Sears.com

Can't beat craftsman for wrenches and hand tools IMHO

Got my start set of wrenches, ratchets and sockets in 1982 for Christmas and still using them

Being totally honest I was a little hot when I realized that the bleeders were metric. I mean come on this is a nearly a 50 year old piece of American iron.

Back to the subject, I ended up using a 1/4 drive socket to do mine. Certainly not how I wanted to do them.

I use either a combo wrench or a 1/4 drive socket with a small 1/4 breaker bar. What ever will fit in the space. If they are 7mm be really careful especially when they get some miles and develop some rust they can be easy to break off.

Another way that might work better since bleeder is hard to get to is loosen with a 1/4" drive socket and breaker as mentioned above and then put some vacuum hose on the bleeder and run it into a clear soda/water bottle about half full of brake fluid when the bubbles stop from helper pumping close bleeder, done
Keep a eye on master cylinder front res (rear brakes) or a single pot will run out of fluid quick.

I use a Mity Vac vacuum pump to do mine. You don't need a helper and it's a lot faster.

I use a Mity Vac vacuum pump to do mine. You don't need a helper and it's a lot faster.

I never have any luck with mine either bleeder not open enough or too much and sucks air, must be the operator, I better stick to using a helper.:(

I never have any luck with mine either bleeder not open enough or too much and sucks air, must be the operator, I better stick to using a helper.:(
I've been using one for years now. There's a reservoir deal that goes inline and that fills with fluid as you draw a vacuum.

The only thing that works as well for me are the "solo-bleed" bleeders that Earls sells. They have one way valve in them so you can bleed the brakes real easy. I had them in my Neon that we autocrossed.

Don't feel bad. To this day, I used the method my mentor taught me 50 years ago.
With someone stepping down on the pedal, open bleeder and stand back.
When finished throw down some Speedi-Dri.
I don't understand this nonsense of having to recapture the fluid unless you're doing this in your living room.

ok so this is what I did once I realised how frickin' tight the area was,:mad:
I dismantled the brakes enough to pull the wheel cylinder out, used an antique wheel cylinder restrainer I had from about 1950 & bled the brakes then once bled I reassembled the cylinder into the front brake backing plate.
I dread the day I have to try to bleed the brakes again...

I still haven't bleed the front but I appears the air was in the rear. I used my vacuum pump and finally have good pedal feel.

I love having to use a ladder to top off the master. :)

IMG_20160424_150945328_HDR.jpg

how tough can bleeding brakes be. please.

Real easy with a lift. :) Mine has been royal pain and I have bleed plenty of brakes in my life. I have been a gravity bleeder, no dice with the 300. I finally drew the air out with the vacuum pump from the rear brakes.

I have the original rear junction. It is the only thing original in the brake system, everything else is new. I thought I checked it out 3 years ago, but maybe not. It may be full of crude, but I'm not messing with it now.

Back