Got new gas tank today, how far should the pickup AND float be from the bottom?

Rusty Muffler

Reaction score
How far should the fuel pickup AND float be from the tank floor? Right now it's at least 1.5 inches off the floor. Shouldn't the float probably be close to resting on the floor too?

I talked to the seller of the tank Vansautollc and he rudely said it was fine. I played it safe and adjusted just the pickup so it's about 1/2" off the floor.

I suppose knowing about empty is more important than knowing about full. Being as I generally know how much is in it when I just filled it up.
I also adjust the pickup to hit the bottom, so water doesn't collect there. Or as little water as possible. On the other hand, there shouldn't be any water with the alcohol gas I run, it's supposed to be absorbed by the alcohol and stay in suspension.
And I also remove the sock too, so trash can't stay in the tank indefinitely. My plan is to have it leave the tank and get trapped in the filter. Not a very popular plan. But it's been working so far, since 1980.

I talked to the seller of the tank Vansautollc and he rudely said it was fine. I played it safe and adjusted just the pickup so it's about 1/2" off the floor.
If the pickup and float is 1/2" off the floor and you happen to run your fuel low as the fuel sloshes around it will suck air.

If there was water settling on the bottom of the tank it would be only after the car was sitting for a bit and I wouldn't want the pick up in the lowest setting.
If there is any water in the tank it will get stirred up when the car is moving and will not be settled on the bottom.

This is my opinion and off hand don't know how far they were installed off the bottom from the factory.

Water and real gas don't mix.
Water and ethanol gas mix together.
When ethanol gas gets old the water and won't mix anymore.

Back