Got Pranked By My Tires-77 New Yorker

View attachment 513548

Those old factory jacks were designed for emergency roadside use only. They can be tricky to use.
Anticipate the car moving away from the jack as you raise it, place at a slight angle to compensate. just moving the lever to "down" is not enough to lower. One must jack it down, just as it was raised. (The instructions don't tell you that).
CAUTION! Never get under a car supported by a bumper jack, and do not place your hand on top of the jack stem while lowering.
You just astonished every young'n under 30 with that.

Having worked in Retail Auto Parts for most of my adult life, I can tell you that an alarming number of grown men and women couldn't....

Tell you what year their car is
What size engine is it
How many cylinders it has
How many miles its been since the last oil change
and my favorite
Where the hood release is

Much less how to change anything. I'd still be damned if anyone is going to change my wipers or battery just because there's a sign on the window of the building. It's my car! They are not touching it.
I don't know where all this knowledge disappeared to, I'm 44, I've known all of this and more my entire life. Like many here I can tell you how many miles are on my tires of each of my vehicles. My father taught me, "take care of your car, and it will take care of you" most of my good friends are car guys and gals to some degree. I know a few folks that I love dearly and pick on them every time I "help" them with their car. I'd guess the early to mid eighties, the computer years, is when people started walking away from cars, and common knowledge stuff as well. Although it should be said, I don't remember the last time I had to change a tire on the side of the road.

Having worked in Retail Auto Parts for most of my adult life, I can tell you that an alarming number of grown men and women couldn't....

Tell you what year their car is
What size engine is it
How many cylinders it has
How many miles its been since the last oil change
and my favorite
Where the hood release is

Much less how to change anything. I'd still be damned if anyone is going to change my wipers or battery just because there's a sign on the window of the building. It's my car! They are not touching it.
I don't know where all this knowledge disappeared to, I'm 44, I've known all of this and more my entire life. Like many here I can tell you how many miles are on my tires of each of my vehicles. My father taught me, "take care of your car, and it will take care of you" most of my good friends are car guys and gals to some degree. I know a few folks that I love dearly and pick on them every time I "help" them with their car. I'd guess the early to mid eighties, the computer years, is when people started walking away from cars, and common knowledge stuff as well. Although it should be said, I don't remember the last time I had to change a tire on the side of the road.
Hi Justin,
well stated!!!!

I worked in auto parts for 7 years. One thing I have learned the customers do know how to do. They do know how to ask you to pull fuses from the fuse box of their car to try to identify a problem. After you have done that and not identified the problem, they will call the retail sales manager for the region and threaten a lawsuit unless all the things you "broke" are fixed. I never made the fuse box mistake, but others did. Usually upper management buckled under the pressure and fixed multiple problems on the person's car. Needless to say, it was hard to keep a high opinion of my customers.

Another habit they had was installing a part, finding out that the part was not what they needed, and bringing the part back covered with grease and the box badly damaged. Management policy was always to give them their money back. This taught them to do this repeatedly rather than get a qualified mechanic to look at their car. I’m sure you’ve seen many more tricks than I did. Customers may not know much about their cars, but many of them do know how to rip off the auto parts store.

If you're ever in Richmond area, 1st round is on me. Ben

I had a customer go clear to my regional manager because the radiator I sold him didn't come with directions and he ruined the trans cooler lines on his Jeep. I had to give him new lines. He couldn't fathom that our parts don't come with instructions. It takes all types. Likewise if your ever in Roanoke!

I bought my first car at 14. 1981 Chevrolet Citation X-11, 400 bucks. I've found only one other recently, and the lot wants WAY too much for it.

I'd still be damned if anyone is going to change my wipers or battery
Someone say change my battery?

JRI.2021.BO.BATTERY.TERMINAL.jpg

I have flatly refused to even touch batteries like that. Of it was followed with a rather confused look and a "why not".

I have flatly refused to even touch batteries like that. Of it was followed with a rather confused look and a "why not"
Trust me, I understand. I had a battery blow up in my face many years ago. If it wasn't for the guy working next to me flushing my eyes out, I might be blind today.

yep, a hot battery can melt the flesh from your bones. My rule is, if i can smell it, don't touch it. Oddly that doesn't only apply to batteries.

Wow, a lot if VA guys on here, I'm from Hampton Roads. Also, I am 16, and I was 14 when my dad and I bought the Chrysler
Okay so over here we're not allowed to drive till 18 but man I would've liked to have such a ride at that age

Speaking of batteries, my family just purchased a 75 F100 and the battery is leaking profusely. Any recommendations on how to move forward without getting blown up?

Speaking of batteries, my family just purchased a 75 F100 and the battery is leaking profusely. Any recommendations on how to move forward without getting blown up?
I'd pour on baking soda and water to neutralize acid. Then ANSEL chemical resistant gloves to remove the battery. Available at Grainger.

Georgia (peanut state, I guess). Not a bad place to be if you have to leave Virginia. Warmer too.
Nope, still in VA, I always think of Virginia as home to the best peanuts, maybe I'll change it to Ham State? You can't beat Edward's or Smithfield. And thank you for the battery tip

Nope, still in VA, I always think of Virginia as home to the best peanuts, maybe I'll change it to Ham State? You can't beat Edward's or Smithfield. And thank you for the battery tip
Whenever you and your Dad are coming thru Richmond, maybe we can arrange a stop-by.

Back