Graveyard or ER

polaratherapy

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi all, where is the fine line that determines if a car should go to the graveyard or the ER a.k.a entire repair?
I am sure there will be many replies to this or is there a thread for me to look at?
My Polara needs a ton of work, she runs, stops, mostly functions but needs engine, body, electrical and interior work.
I know I can handle all the work and its doable even on my budget, but again when is it time to kiss her goodbye.
Looking forward to some different perspectives on kicking the bucket or when to let go or never being able to let go.

PT

When you've lost the zest for tinkering with the old gal. All my cars need attention that will keep me busy for years, as they are all scruffy and lived hard lives. But I wouldn't trade them for anything, I love the old gals I have.

And don't take it to the graveyard, sell or give it to someone who still has the passion to give the old gal the love she needs.

It comes down to how hard you're willing to work and how much money you're willing to invest into your car has a lot to do with it. Bottom line is are you having fun while you do it and what are you looking for at the end. Will it be a real good driver or are you looking for something much better. Make up a list of what needs done and what repairs need to be made and can you do it or do you need to have it farmed out to someone who can. Pictures do help in this case.

well the common sense answer would be when it costs more to fix it than its worth when you're done....but that line gets blurry in a hurry...if you dont have the cash to buy what you want, slowly fixing it yourself may cost more in the long run, but at a rate that you can manage...but this usually requires you do do the majority of the work yourself for zero pay....cause throwing in an extra $100 an hour for someone else to potentially screw it up quickly tips the balance on a major project....to me the final nail in the coffin is anything that's so badly rotted out structurally that its easier to start with another car than repair what you have....remember its a C body, not a hemicuda convertible...

It all depends on a lot of factors.

Some stuff is easy work and some stuff is hard. Some cars are rare and some are a dime a dozen.

Body rust is always the biggest factor. Its the most expensive and labor intensive part of restoration. Minor rust often comes with the territory, but major rust is usually only worth the cost ($ and time) if the car is something rare.

Then there is your capability too. Can you do mechanical work?

To give an example, lets say I found the car of my dreams. Its body is rust free and complete, but it needs an engine overhaul and electrical work. That would work great for me. I can do that work confidently so I could do that car myself. If it needed a lot of interior work, I know I can do some, but some would have to be done by a pro. More expense and more time.... Needs a lot of body work? Suddenly its a lot more expense and headache.

My handle says it all for me and a lot of you who believe the rewards out weigh the challenges.
I'm sure all FCBO owners have the passion for their cars, all you serious die hards, multiple vintage car owners , where is your breaking point of saying goodbye, too much rust, parting out....etc.
Just trying to tap your experience (s). When does the car tell you it's over!

My handle says it all for me and a lot of you who believe the rewards out weigh the challenges.
I'm sure all FCBO owners have the passion for their cars, all you serious die hards, multiple vintage car owners , where is your breaking point of saying goodbye, too much rust, parting out....etc.
I sold a car last summer, it needed more work than I was willing to give it. It did give me two years and 10k miles of enjoyment. I drove it out to Carlisle and down to Illinois a few times. I never got it to fix it, but as a driver. Having a small fleet, it was the lowest priority of the bunch. Plus it wasn't a '66 like my other C bodies, and my heart lies with those cars. I passed it on to another fella who was going to use it as a driver, fixing only what was needed to keep it a driver. I just knew it was time to move on from that car, I have others that will get money thrown at them like a stripper on Saturday night.

2012 I bought a 70 Fury PH29
Tons of bondo and severe rear end rust
p1a.jpg

Trunk
p3a.jpg

Rear Frame Rail, left side
p2a.jpg

After a year, I gave up and parted it into this car.
Convertible got hidden headlight grill, 440/727, 8.75 rear, bucket seats, neat old mags, etc.
PXL_20210731_174239668.jpg

When is it time to stop? When it's not worth the aggravation and you can use the parts to make something else really awesome.

ANYTHING can be saved, for "a price" (time and/or money). To me, rust can be a deal-breaker, IF it is an area that is structural and a place that can't be easily swapped out. But probably not quite so much for somebody who is handy with a metal brake and a welder. Engine, trans, rear axle, etc. cost money, which can be modulated a bit over time.

Regarding money investment, to do a show-quality C-body you've GOT to be in it for the long haul, by observation. So my orientation is to have a nice OEM-spec car that can show decently well at a car club event, but NOT trailer queen level by any means.

It is ALWAYS good to keep track of what is spent and what the then-current value of the vehicle might be on the open market. So, best to not get "buried" in the car so most of the investment might be returned should a sudden need arise, by observation.

The "fun" of getting the car back to working shape again and the related enjoyment of driving the car is in the "priceless" category, which is only bankable in your mind, unfortunately.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Back Again Fellas,
(Long and Boring Rant Follows and I mean No Criticism of Anyone.)
Read Most of the Comments and Would Like to make a Couple of My Own.
30-40 Years Ago I was Known Locally as the Dodge Man.
People used to Drive Cars to My Door & Give Them to Me.
Complete Driving 383 4Dr H'Tops with a Few Problems.
(Couldn't Buy RHD Pitman Arms / Idler Arms Etc.)
They were Just Dirty Old Dodges.
No One Wanted Them.
Amazingly They are Now Advertising Completely Rusted Out Hulks for A$5,000.
(I'm Talking No Bottoms to the Rear Pillars / No Parcel Tray Etc.)
Reasonably Nice Cars are being Advertised for anything up to A40,000.
And Why?
Because No One Saved Them, They Were Just Dirty Old Dodges.
Want a Spare Part?
A Set of Body Side Molds A$400, a 383 Engine suit Rebuilding A$3,000, A Trans suit Rebuild A$1,650
All because No One Saved Them.
In the Not Too Distant Future "C" Bodies will be Just as Rare as "A" or "B" Bodies.
Save Them While You Can. ( I could Cheerfully Strangle the Fella who Invented the Mobile Crusher.)
I Agree there Must be a Limit to What can be Done.
Sadly I have been a Talent-less Bum All My Life.
I Look Around at Some of My Young Friends and There is Nothing They Can't Do.
Unfortunately Nowadays I'm an Old Geriatric who can't do Much Anyway.
And I Notice that None of the Big Time Hot Rod / Resto Shows EVER Mention the Final Cost of the Fancy Work Shop Rebuild.
O.K. Second Point.
One Thing I Discovered a Long Ago.
98.5 % of the Time You Always Spend more on a Car than it's ever gonna be Worth.
But the Point that All the Petty Little Bean Counters Overlook is Simply This.
If You are a Genuine Car Lover You Will get a Million Dollars Worth of Enjoyment out of Working on the Beast.
A Couple of Hours Pottering in the Garage and All the Stress & Worries of the World Disappear.
(Even the Wife's Nagging Doesn't Seem to Matter. LOL)
There is No Satisfaction Like That of Making Something Broken Work Again.
And If That's Not Worth a Million Dollars I Don't Know What is.

Kind Regards Tony.M

when is it time to kiss her goodbye
Considering the extreme emotional attachment that people can have for "things": it's not uncommon for owners to take a car with them to the grave, no matter what the condition. If you're even asking the question of "when is the time to let it go", it tells me that you're having doubts.

I watched an episode of Fantom works a couple of years ago. Sometimes they would show the sum total or just say it. One gentleman spent $49,000 on labor restoring a 41 Plymouth. Now, go try to find parts for one. I don't remember the total. I went to Hemmings, which is where the most expensive cars are, the highest priced one was 19k. That man on the show couldn't have been happier with the car. My point is, most folks like me, like us, find the joy in fixing it. Depending on talent, we all we can to it ourselves. I managed to find a very clean, straight example. If it was shot I wouldn't have bothered. If your car is too far gone, use it as a parts car. Find the best you can afford, and enjoy. Who cares what it may be worth. If you have a child or grandchild to share the fun with, there is no money that can buy that anyway.

Considering the extreme emotional attachment that people can have for "things": it's not uncommon for owners to take a car with them to the grave, no matter what the condition. If you're even asking the question of "when is the time to let it go", it tells me that you're having doubts.
Well Greg, I've built houses, log cabins, had a successful business for years just had different interests before Covid and now I've hit retirement. Always had rebuilding or saving a car on the bucket list so I've just discovered something new, so there is no doubt for me I will see it through to the end unless the end hits first!

Hi all, where is the fine line that determines if a car should go to the graveyard or the ER a.k.a entire repair?
I am sure there will be many replies to this or is there a thread for me to look at?
My Polara needs a ton of work, she runs, stops, mostly functions but needs engine, body, electrical and interior work.
I know I can handle all the work and its doable even on my budget, but again when is it time to kiss her goodbye.
Looking forward to some different perspectives on kicking the bucket or when to let go or never being able to let go.

PT
Any photos of your car? Specs on its build? I will be heading to Elmira maybe next week. Maybe I can give you another set of eyes, I have been building mopars for years. I have sent a few cars for scrap. Those were well used rotten parts cars picked over.
It took years to learn what my limitations are, I found I had few. As I age the limitations grow each year. I won't buy anymore projects for myself, I also try to stop friends and clients from buying the wrong car. I buy the best overall condition I can find, then just restore the car as I use it.
Clients cars take up project time as well.

Any photos of your car? Specs on its build? I will be heading to Elmira maybe next week. Maybe I can give you another set of eyes, I have been building mopars for years. I have sent a few cars for scrap. Those were well used rotten parts cars picked over.
It took years to learn what my limitations are, I found I had few. As I age the limitations grow each year. I won't buy anymore projects for myself, I also try to stop friends and clients from buying the wrong car. I buy the best overall condition I can find, then just restore the car as I use it.
Clients cars take up project time as well.
That would be fantastic, I only have the photos in " My garage is a barn" at the moment, but your visit would be welcome. My Polara vert is not done in my eyes, I took off a lot of the junk the last owner put on but it affected all aspects of the car. A new set of trained eyes would certainly be beneficial.
Let me know in advance when you would be passing by.
I agree, you don't have anything if you don't have your health!

Thanks PT

Standard Catalog of Chrysler 1924-1990: I see factory production total of 842 for the 1970 Polara convertible. If the rule that 2/3 are gone applies, that leaves less than 300 in existence. If rarity matters, your car should be saved.

Back