Ground cable to body

jippek

Reaction score
I was wondering where is the original place for connecting the ground from engine to body? While I took the engine away, my car had quite thin cable from right side block just beside the valve cover connected to firewall, which seemed not like a original solution. Or was it? My car is 1967 Fury.

thanks,

JP

Same thing on mine. However, I don't believe in having just one engine ground so I put in a 0 gauge ground wire that I found aboard a mothballed former Coast Guard Ice breaker. More than enough for all the cars and leave lots of 4 gauge unused.

Ok, thanks for the answers. Seems a bit too small grounding, perhaps I will add an additional wire too.

This is what the factory used. Available in the HELP section at the auto store.

Take the picture with you. The morons there won't know what you're talking about if they are out of stock....
Otherwise, they'll tell you to go to Home Depot for this:

grounding_copper-strap_big.jpg

Last edited:
The engine ground wire should be at least large enough to carry starter motor load current. Not sure about the 67, but my 70 300 has a wire about the same gauge as the starter motor feed running directly from the negative battery terminal to a bolt on or near the intake manifold.

The engine ground wire should be ...
I believe he's talking about the braided ground wire that goes from the right rear side of the block to the firewall, not the battery to engine ground wire. You don't need a 1 quage wire for that.

Last edited:
Hi,

the next question is of course the lenght :) There were multiple sizes and lengths available, how long is that original ?

Don´t use a too short one, because the engine is moving while acceleration...(sorry i don´t know the lenght in this moment)
and pay attention to mount it at the firewall with bare metal contact to the cable

Don´t use a too short one, because the engine is moving while acceleration...(sorry i don´t know the lenght in this moment)
and pay attention to mount it at the firewall with bare metal contact to the cable

I am not in hurry with this one, so if you have a possibility to measure the lenght at some point, would be just great :)

Jippie, it doesn't make any difference what length it is. Just eyeball it and leave some slack.

True as well, I will do that when I get the car back and the engine mounted :)

Back