Guilty Pleasures

Hotdog with B-L Horseradish Sauce and Sauerkraut. If you haven't tried it, give it a shot. I like the sauerkraut cold on the dog. I don't know why the pics came out so damned big.
View attachment 424219

View attachment 424220

View attachment 424221

I know you mentioned a hot dog, but
I always liked my brats with cold sauerkraut right out of the can, but drained. Have learned to appreciate kraut heated up in past couple of years though, especially on pork chops.

Will have to add some horsey sauce to my next brat, that sounds good. Maybe with a nice beef frank too.

Weiner Schnitzel very simple and consists of pork that has been whacked with a hammer a few dozen times to thin it out, coated in breadcrumbs, and fried. It's often served with potatoes, traditionally a potato salad. Washed down with a good beer of course.
View attachment 424218

Ever have with spaitel Fred? Probably spelled it wrong but something close. We had a German place in town that really made good German food and that was my favorite dish. The place Was called Romatoff but closed not long ago.

Ever have with spaitel Fred? Probably spelled it wrong but something close. We had a German place in town that really made good German food and that was my favorite dish. The place Was called Romatoff but closed not long ago.

Spätzle, it's also the side dish on post #320...

Spaetzle-Tasty-Kitchen.png

Also very good with cheese...

homemade-german-kaese-spaetzle-recipe.jpg

Last edited:
I'd forgotten all about the corner store. In my rural area it was called Calhoun's. They first got rid of the two pump island when it changed hands and later the new owner closed down because he couldn't compete with the chains, like the Red & White in town. Wood floors and the dual beam scale to measure meat purchases wrapped in wax paper. This is not it but because it remained unchanged this is a pretty good representation of what it was like.

View attachment 424223

I used to go with my grandpa to the farm to tend livestock and we’d always stop at a old place like that for a red soda. It had a pot bellied stove right in the middle with several old timers sitting around it whenever we stopped.

I was never a big fan of sauerkraut until I met my wife-to-be and had pork and sauerkraut for dinner at her parents, made with her Dad's home-made sauerkraut. Like night and day compared to the store-bought stuff. I love it now...the homemade stuff that is, the store bought stuff I can still just tolerate though I do like it on a dog or brat with some strong, sinus-clearing mustard.

as the personal odo clicks away, fast becoming my favorite side (along with garlic green beans). or asparagus spears) to accompany a medium T-bone or filet mignon. doc says every meal (mix some fish in there not just the beef), get something "green you can stick a fork in"

2020090695081918.png

as the personal odo clicks away, fast becoming my favorite side (along with garlic green beans). or asparagus spears) to accompany a medium T-bone or filet mignon. doc says every meal (mix some fish in there not just the beef), get something "green you can stick a fork in"

View attachment 424386

Love broccoli, asparagus, and Brussel sprouts with butter

View attachment 424386
Oh, that is a good thing, but there should be no guilt associated with eating healthy........

Ice cream. A bowl per night is ideal. Usually in the winter because that is the only time I sit down to watch TV. Usually fill a large cereal bowl. I don’t like the reduced fat kind or artificial sweeteners. I experiment with different kinds, but like neopolitin mixed together with chocolate syrup.

Try mashing up a hand full of potato chips into a bowl of chocolate ice cream. It works best when the ice cream is already a little melty and soft. And don't use fancy chips like kettle cooked or anything like that, just ordinary run of the mill chips. I'm partial to Wise since they're made in my hometown :)

Trust me, it's delicious!

Those look like appropriate proportions of each to me and I feel no guilt at all for the bovine that gave its all for a dinner like that.

yeah, but the old Sawbones doesnt think so. too many calories, saturated fat, and cholesterol in 16 oz. steak, before a couple shots of steak sauce (too much salt she says).

I have seen the nutritional debate -- good for you/bad for you/causes cancer, etc.. EOD, i have resigned my self from experience I cannot eat/burn it off like i could 30 years ago.

Goal is to try to stay 40 lbs under my high school athletic (football/basketball) weight ... tough to do at 6' 3" and 40+ years later. Only thing the same size now are shoe, hat, and glove size from those days -- but doing ok (most months of the year :) i went to high school with my doctor btw so she's known me that whole time) on the weight thing.

Everything in moderation but on occasion gotta have have a real, whole slab of beef (steak, ribs, big honkin' burger, etc) & fixins. Me, its 4-5 times a year.

in the interim, is Applebees (minus the bread stuff). I call this one "steak and shrubery". Really its Southwest Steak Caesar Salad -- pretty good actually

49 auto car.png

I was looking through the old thread again. I love ice cream and enjoy so many season flavors. One which was new to me this year was pumpkin pie ice cream. I have had other "pie" ice cream like apple which have a little crust mix in.

I thing I discovered just a few years ago. Order a hot fudge milk shake as opposed to a chocolate shake you won't be disappointed. Many places won't have it listed on the menu, but if the can make a hot fudge Sunday they can make it. A friends son who worked a summer job at a local family own shop, turned me on to it.

Ever have with spaitel Fred?
"Spaetzle" I think is the spelling. Anyway my Mom used to make a dynamite goulash with them. Man it is hard to figure out how I maintained my boyish figure living at home. Now I only have to think of her cooking to gain a couple pounds.

There's only one German restaurant in town these days. At least it's a decent one. It had closed after some issues and the owner died the following day. It reopened, using the same name and many of the same recipes, although a slightly more limited menu.

Danzer's readies for reopening in Syracuse (photos)

Anyway... One of my favorites to get there isn't really German, but it has a German twist. It's a Red Rueben. Basically a Rueben sandwich made with red cabbage rather than sauerkraut. Served open face on pumpernickel. Ummmmm....

Best pic I could find...

258s.jpg

Back