Handbrake on a -56 Chrysler

Glider

Reaction score
Howdy, new here, I've got a -56 New Yorker that's earlier has been robbed on its driveline exept the rear end. A couple owners down the line someone did it cuz the Hemi was stuck badly & the gearbpx was scrap too, so he put a LA 318 & 727 in it & "it works fine" as long as one don't open the hood.
Anyway; the inspection here don't care if the trans has "park", you got to have hand-/parking-brake too...
The guy I bought the car from said "it needs another rear axel" but I wonder if it aint enough to just put other shields (with all the stuff) on from a newer axel?

G'Day from the Mystical Land of Oz,
Unfortunately it Doesn't work that way.
I'm Not an Expert on that Model, However, having owned an Old 56 Dodge Kingsway I think I know a Little.
Originally the Vehicle would more than likely have had a Tail Shaft Drum Hand Brake set-up on the Gear Box.
There were some Aluminium T/Fs with a Drum Brake Set-Up But these would be Extremely Rare Nowadays.
The Original Diff will Not accept the later Drums & Backing Plates, Your easiest Alternative may be to Find a 65 or Later Complete Diff Assy.
You will need to Match the Wheel Track & Perhaps get the Tail Shaft Modified. (Plus Cables Etc.,Etc.)
Unfortunately You're in a Similar Position to us Fellas here in Aust. A Far Smaller range of Spares to choose from.(Sigh)
As I Said there will be Far More Knowledgeable Fellas on here than Myself, But I think the Diff will be the way to go.
Anyway Hope it All Goes Well for You.
Kind Regards, Tony.M

Okidoki Tony, but still; wouldn't it be possible to re-drill some backing plates to fit? Isn't it just a big hole in the middle & four for the bolts & the shape to hold the seal? I still haven't had it appart since it's not here yet.
I'm familiar with the shaft mounted drums from earlier Chryslers I've had such as -62 Newport, -59 Windsor, a couple -54 Plymouths, -53 New Yorker & a -50 Windsor.
We're not short of spareparts in Sweden but to get hold on a axel that has the same with between the mounts, the same fastening for the shaft + the price compared to just some brake parts is what makes me wanna go for the brakeparts. & a complete axel would probably need new bearings & seals too; I know what's there but not what I'm gonna get...
& I know by experiance what a oil leaking engine or gearbox can do to a shaftmounted drumbrake.

By the way, is a Dodge Kingsway "down under" the same as here; a Plymouth with Dodge grille?

G'Day Again,
Through the 50s We had Dodge, Plymouth & Desotos that were basically the Same Vehicle with Different Badges.
Not really that simple But Almost. (Different Grilles & Body Trim mostly)
1957 -64 We had Chrysler Royals (Re-badged Plymouths All Based on the 57 Chassis), Dodge Custom Royals (Same as the States) & Though I remember seeing 1959 Desotos, I can't really remember seeing them in 57-58)
As I said Not that Much of an Expert But Personally I can't see Adapting Drums & Backing Plates to the Old Key Way Set-up Working.
What ever way you go it's gonna Cost!
Just that a Later Diff is Perhaps the Simplest & Most Cost Effective Way to Go,
The Trouble for You & Me is we just don't have the Resources the States have.
So If we are going to do Anything We have to do it Right the First Time.
We are Not in a Position to Change things every 5 Minutes.
So do your Research Carefully & Cost it All out Before you Start.
Things like Wheel Stud PCD, Universal Sizes, Cost of Re-locating Spring Perches, Having Hand Brake Cables Made (Which You'll have to do Anyway.)
if you're going to Fit another Diff it Only Makes Sense to Fit New Axle bearings & Seals for the Cost Involved.
Centre bearings I would check but I have seen them Last 400,000 Miles.
I could tell you a long story to prove that But I tend to Ramble too Much Anyway.
As I say Do All Your research Carefully before making a Decision.
Perhaps you need to visit the "Forward Look" Forum and Ask the Question There.
Once Again All the Best.
Tony.M

Ah, & I thought(!) I was/am at the Forward Look forum... No wait!!! This is the Forward Look forum mate! :)

O.K.
Now I'm Confused!
I'm Seeing this on CBO!
I'm Still learning How This Sight Works.
I'm a Little Intrigued as to Why You Haven't Received Any Replies From the Fellas in the States.
If Anyone Should Know About This Stuff They Should.
Come On Fellas the Bloke Needs Some Help / Advice.
Don't Make Us Have to Come Over There & Rattle Your Cage, LOL.
Regards Tony.M

Yep, I'm kinda surprised about that too, there must be someone in the US who's seen / experianced this.
& I was also finding it difficult to find my way here so I bookmarked the Forward Look & that made it loads easier.

Ullo Again,
Did the Same Myself, Bookmarked one of My Early Posts.
I"m Getting the Feeling that You & I are off in some Quiet Little Corner that Nobody Else knows about.
But the "Views" List Puts the Lie to That, So I Really am Intrigued as to Why there are No Others Comments.
Must Have Forgotten to Apply our Underarm Again. LOL
I also owned a 59 Custom Royal, which I was "Projecting" With a Stroked 383 & Aluminium PB TorqueFlite, 4 Wheel Discs, Late Model P/Steer Etc,. Etc..
I was Fitting a "B" Body 8.75, it was Mainly a Matter of moving the Spring Perches to suit.
But I was Retrenched & Ended up having to sell the Vehicle before it was finished.
Well, I Hope Somebody Eventually Can help You.
In the Meantime All the Best.
Tony.M

Yep, sure is strange this, maby the americans are sitting back laughing...
I have a friend who has a -57 or -58 Custom Royal but the Hemi is long gone so he have a 440 in it. I've alsways just had my cars as daily drivers, I'm to old & grumpy to let that go & exept for the -61 belvedere they've been original cars even if not mint.
(At the moment I'm driving a -55 Studebaker sedan that I bought as a wreck & it contains MoPar driveline due to finding Studebaker stuff in good condition is are &/or expensieve here so I bought a whole -77 Volare & took it all from & later on I sold our Dodge van without engine & gearbox so now the Studebaker contaions roller cam 318 with alu intake, Edelbrock carb & shorty headers on & A500 trans.)

O.K.
(Warning!, Long & Boring Rant to Follow.)
This is becoming quite a Conversation. LOL
According to the Time line, You answered me within two Minutes Last Night.
It was Approximately 02:20 here & I had Bailed & gone off to Bed.
At My Age I need My Beauty Sleep.
Unfortunately due to Age & Arthritis I find it Impossible to work on my Car during Winter. (69 Phoenix Sedan)
A Couple of the Younger Members of My Club have been Extremely Kind & were doing some of the work for me.
But due to COVID that has all had to be Put on the Back Burner.
I've got a Long Way to Go.
Bought the Car from an Older Club Member who had Lost it on a Corner & his Family wouldn't let him Drive anymore.
Been Sitting in his Garage for 10-11 Years.
Took me Four Years to Find a Panel Beater who was willing to do the Repairs.
(All Too Busy Making Money from Modern Car Repairs)
Thought I was being Over-Charged till I got the Car Back. (Mind You it Took Fourteen Months as a Spare Time Job)
But When I Look at the Car Now I am Content, He's Done an Amazing Job.
Over the Last Ten Years I have Assembled a Gear vendors Over Drive, Truetrac, 3.73 Gears, Rear Disc Brake Conversion, New Radiator.
275 Tyres on 10 x 15 Standard Rims & 235 Tyres on 8 x 15 x 3 Rims. (Fitting Body Colour Painted 12 Slotter Caps to Suit)
Plus a Whole List of New Components for Suspension Etc., Have a Reco P/S Box Done, Will be Getting a Reco P/S Pump
Plus New Hoses, will be Doing the Booster & M/Cyl also.
Car's been Sitting for Nigh on Sixteen Years so I Figure it will Cost less to Fix it all Now, Compared to the Cost of Having to Tow it Home
from any distance.
And Believe Me, When the Beastie is Finally on the Road I Intend to Put Some Distance on it.
Anyway I must be getting Boring by Now.
So, Once Again All the Best.
If We Keep this Post Alive Maybe Someone Will Eventually See it Who Can Help.
Regards Tony.M

If I would find that boring I wouldn't be interested in MoPars... -69 Phoenix; is that an Australian model? Is it mid or full size?

& yes, alive is a good thing to keep it & hope someone will fild it & tell about parking brake plates on a old rear axel!

Funny thou, I don't even remember any of the shaft-drum brakes on cars I had exept the -62 Nweport that I had loads of troubles with due to the gearbox leaking oil until I had the trans overhauled. That Newport was one of the best cars I've had as well as the -50 Windsor.

From 1965 - 1972 Chrysler Australia Imported CKD Plymouth Fury Four Door Sedans (318 Auto / Bench Seat) And 67-72, Four Door Hard Tops (383 Auto / Bucket Seat) and Re-Badged Them as Dodge Phoenix's.
Basic V8s , Auto, Power Steer, Power Brakes.
(Air Con Extra, Wheel Arch Molds Extra, Sill Molds Extra Etc.,)
Now Strangely Enough When I Look at CBO I can No Longer See our Thread.
Can You See It From Your Side?
Tony.M (20:15 AEST)

O.K.
Just Popped over to the FBO Site. We're There!
Now I'm Wondering if We were Visible on CBO at All.
I've had a Few Strange Experiences with Post's Appearing
and Disappearing from Site.
It Might be Worthwhile Posting Your Original Thread
on the CBO Site "Again" .
I'm Thinking Because You & Me are in Far Off Distant Lands
We May Not Be "In Sync" with the Rest.
Anyway, All the best.
Tony.M

Last edited:
Yes I see it but on the other hand on the next post nothing hasn't happend since Friday so them janx aint at it all the time it seems...
:drama:

Here's the Beastie, Piccies of some of the Damage.
IMG_7885.jpg
IMG_7887.jpg
IMG_0120.JPG
IMG_0133.JPG

Panel beater took these in the Spray Booth some time ago.
IMG_0126.JPG

Ooops! Looks like it was an old plastic padding "repair" earlier on the right side.
Nice comfy cars those are! (Almost poetry there!)

Ok, let's put it this way then; if I'm gonna modify the shields/plates I have, then where can I get new ones if it fails?

The strangest thing just happend the last 3 days; usually one hardly ever see a 55-56 Chrysler for sale here & now there's these ones out:
(& I get that wanna-be-real-rich-feeling)

B1 KLX866.jpg

C2 Yorker.PNG

D1 070 9610 371.PNG

Last edited:
Back