Has anyone played with replacement rollers?

mr. fix it

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
E3BD849F-5898-4C3C-A028-3592417E324B.jpeg
99E1F3EB-C4DF-4D53-8741-D938CB243B3E.jpeg
02CADC4C-3E24-4A6E-8AE9-97CF2816FEF7.jpeg
96587E93-C35F-458F-A730-DAB11DCE5A50.jpeg
Having taken my windows apart in an effort to make them smooth operation again I wonder if anyone has tried alternative rollers to restore and possibly improve the operation of the windows

I have been following a few threads recently in hopes to learn more about the replacement parts needed

I consider myself fortunate that no rollers are broken like in recent threads
I would like to replace as a PM so I don’t have to go back into the beast a few years later from now
My 66 Polara 1/4 windows are very different from the thread posted by Matt62 for his 65 Monaco ...

I’ll post more pics soon

FA721BE0-5C64-4C01-9011-277884E7B0FE.jpeg

76D295FB-704D-4520-AE69-DB736B562B74.jpeg

This is something I need to deal with on my 1/4 especially. I lost motor operation on one last fall. If I was going to tear into it I wanted to make sure I could improve upon any aspect of the motion.

I have always needed to assist the movement on the 1/4 windows. I thought I would make molds of my current rollers and replace them with something that is not 50 years old and brittle.

Here is a Smooth On product designed exactly for that purpose.
pmc7708090series.png

Aftermarket rollers for other models will work except for one that I know of. Good luck

If you've got unbroken convertible 1/4 glass roller assemblies, why don't you send them to Jim at DMT and have him use yours as the template for repros? I know they just did the 2 dr HT ones, and I bet he'd be pleased to do the vert ones if he had a decent set to work with.

Can you post the helpful threads for window removal? I can't remember, do you have power windows? Any dos or don'ts you found crucial in the removal? I remember hearing the rear 1/4s are a pain.

If you've got unbroken convertible 1/4 glass roller assemblies, why don't you send them to Jim at DMT and have him use yours as the template for repros? I know they just did the 2 dr HT ones, and I bet he'd be pleased to do the vert ones if he had a decent set to work with.
Where is Jim located?

Can you post the helpful threads for window removal? I can't remember, do you have power windows? Any dos or don'ts you found crucial in the removal? I remember hearing the rear 1/4s are a pain.
I could try to do this Mike
It’s not fun but not too bad either

Aftermarket rollers for other models will work except for one that I know of. Good luck
Thanks Stubs. I've been scouring the internet the past few days and now that I have them out of the car, I'm able to research the trying to source the parts.

Working on the windows today.
Is flocking material supposed to be in the rear 1/4 window track stabilizer?

upload_2019-3-9_16-48-44.png

Called Vans Auto and Jim's
Van's thought the 70 charger 1/4 rollers would work but can't find the darned things...

Jim never called back...

Because your doing your homework, you don't deserve to get hit with the "ignorance is a choice" meme. I'll give you a hand. Good Luck
mopar window rollers at DuckDuckGo

Thanks Stubs. I'm hitting dead ends everywhere so far.
I even called a few restoration suppliers again today & they have no sources either.

Duane @ Restoration Specialties went all out tying to find some but came up with some old used guide brackets as close as possible.
Being they are old & used I would prefer new since a few of mine are not broken but the center hole being egg shaped and don't spin on the center hole.
Stephen's Performance doesn't have anything.
Jim's doesn't and haven't returned any calls.
Restoration Specialties is a no go as well.

Waiting for Herb's Parts to call me back.
I'm thinking of getting a set machined up out of brass if it comes down to it...

This is something I need to deal with on my 1/4 especially. I lost motor operation on one last fall. If I was going to tear into it I wanted to make sure I could improve upon any aspect of the motion.

I have always needed to assist the movement on the 1/4 windows. I thought I would make molds of my current rollers and replace them with something that is not 50 years old and brittle.

Here is a Smooth On product designed exactly for that purpose.
View attachment 266451

Let me know once you get back home Mike if you plan to follow through with this idea.

Here’s the dimensions
E1E359B9-25BE-4399-A423-E697BC975D37.jpeg
I’m looking for the roller, not the bracket that houses them

E04950B0-44BF-486E-8420-7453142C9338.jpeg

If someone is already repopping them for other body styles and sizes, I'd be thinking that the roller itself is the same throughout and just the bracketry and such is where the difference is. If so, it might be worthwhile seeing who sells the repro guy the rollers...

Thoughts?

Back