headers for a 68 Imperial

This thread is heating up. I say since the inner fenders are removable just go with some Fender well Headers, will look bad ***. :D

Putting headers on a car, in general, will give you more high RPM power at the expense of low RPM torque. For a big block Imperial, you don't spend that much time in the high RPM range, and low RPM torque is what gives you that boost in starting out. So adding headers will boost performance, but not in the places that your car will spend much time in. That is why the HP manifolds are a better option. (Unless you plan to be building a race motor and transmission and changing the rear end gearing.) You would probably get more bang for your buck from a good true dual exhaust system with X pipe. Take a look at this article: Header Basics - How Headers Contribute to Horsepower - Car Craft Magazine

guys and or girls. Does anybody know of any headers that are guaranteed to fit a 1968 Imperial?

I haven't been able to track anything down here in Aus. Let me know your thoughts. thanks again
Duncan:sSig_noob:

No. Move on to a how to question.

I'm not a big fan of headers..if you like changing gaskets all the time, go for it. The constant changes in temperature makes you have to keep up the maintenance on them (tightening). As was posted earlier, a good duel exhaust and magna flow mufflers will get you the same result without all the headaches. IMHO

The answer you need:

Guaranteed fit headers = Better off playing the lottery.

Performance gained over HP Manifolds = Nothing you'll see, because you'll always be replacing gaskets and tightening bolts.

Getting flamed = Coloring outside the lines is allowed, I am one of those people, but there are people who cringe after seeing the same thing happen over and over. Guy buys C-Body. Guy wants to make a Hot Rod, when not an actual builder. Guy screws up. Car ends up in the hands of a derby guy.

So, grab some oven mitts, it gets toasty when the... erm.. "older" members who have watched the same mistake happen countless times. It's harsh, but valuable input.

Longer tubes give more torque.

The reason that headers are associated with high rpm power is that they’re a pain in the *** in many cases so the only people who put up with them are people who are looking for big power... at higher rpm.

You won’t find anyone who will guarantee fitment for an Imperial. TTI says that all their joints have 3” of adjustment which means you should be able to make a ‘68 fit with the main difference being the 3” in front of the firewall.

My guess? You will need to pay a muffler shop to make it work right. They will fit the engine compartment, steering, etc. that’s the big part.

Back