Headlight adjustment question

Knebel

Reaction score
I have recently upgraded my headlights from sealed beam to halogen with LEDs.

I have one of those oldschool bubblelevel adjuster and I think I got them pretty close. According to the pics, would you say I need to move the passanger beam over to the right a little? Also, unsure about the beampattern on the ground, does that look 'ok' compared to the sealed beam?

The high beams seem perfect.

Low Beam:
20211031_191513.jpg

High Beam:
20211031_191453.jpg

For the lateral adjustment, move the lh low beam about .25 turn to the rh side of thngs; move the rh low beam about .5 turns to the rh side of things. Better to see signs and things with that way. As for the vertical adjustment, seek "level" or just a bit downward, too.

As you approach vehicles in front of you at a red light or stop sign, ALSO ensure that low beams are generally below the level of their outside mirrors.

For good measure, do those final adjustments with a full tank of fuel, too.

As an awareness issue . . . although you might like the brightness and "color" of the lights as you look BEHIND them, in cases of general darkness, those headlights can cause issues with over-40 drivers who are beginning to have issues in what I term "high contrast lighting situations". Namely, a very intense light against a dark background. By observation, such headlights on low beam are worse in this respect than an old reflector-beam headlight on high beam as it approaches you. The classic advice of looking at the shoulder of the road until the bright-lighter passes does not really work, especially on seldom illuminated rural roadways, from my experiences.

Enjoy responsibly,
CBODY67

O.K.,
The Idea is to Light up the Road NOT the Oncoming Traffic.
How many Times have you Flashed a Driver Only to Find What you Thought were his Hi-Beams were in Fact his Lows.
After You Regain Your Sight & Find the Road Again......LOL
Keep You Lights Angled to the Right (Almost Said Left) of the Centre Line & Below the Oncoming Drivers Sight.
Also Keep in Mind how Annoying it is when some Wombat sits behind You with 10,000 Candle Power blinding you in the Review Mirror.
Your Hi-Beams are for Distance when there are No Other Drivers About, Not for Showing Off.
The World is Filled with Inconsiderate X%&*@S Lets Not Add to the Total.
We All Like to Speed Etc. Etc., Just Keep in Mind that Most of the Time the Vehicles we Drive are used to Transport the Things we
should Treasure Most in Life, So a Little Care & Consideration for Others is Only Common Sense.
And Now to Add a Little Humour to the Situation.

kenmaynardheadlights.jpg

Without a bubble level, I use my garage door at night with the high beams for an approximate headlight adjustment. My 1988 FSM details this method; it would call the garage an "Aiming Screen".

Thank you. I cant agree more, I constantly flash people too just to find out their lights arent the highbeams. My problem is usually with big trucks behind me, I drive a lifted Jeep SUV and some of those pimped out f350s blind me in the mirrors that are what 5ft high??? Normal sedans with LEDs dont do that. I'm going on 36 and have those blinding issues too, so I understand 100%. I also have driven my Fury maybe 3 times in the dark in the 10 years I've owned it... because the sealed beams were waaaay too dark for me so see right.

Now to my adjustment. The height seems fine and is below any rear windows of cars I've driven behind. I will go out tomorrow and adjust them over a bit away from the centerline. Thank you!

Last edited:
As you drive, there are lots of things you can reference for the horizontal adjustment. Like flat bridges and their railings, for example. Have to determine they are really flat, though, as some might have a slight bend to them. You should be able to see the dominant upper cut-off part of the main beam, so you can then easily see if its going down or up. A slight downward angle is desired, no matter what. Not much, just enough to see that it's "down".

So a hair to the side of the road, down a hair from horizontal can work well, by observation. Rather than have the lateral adjustment parallel to each other, you can put a bit more "to the side of the road" in the rh light, so you can see road signs, curbs, turns, etc. better, if desired.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

I'm in the process of adjusting the lights on my car. Haven't done a test drive yet. The service manual has a convoluted method using a special aiming tool. I have always used 25ft away from a garage door, level ground, full tank and a person in the seat. Low should be down and a bit to the right and high up and a bit to the left. Always, always do a test drive at night with a friend coming at you while you switch back and forth from low to high. That way you'll avoid pissing off other drivers. Don't be "that guy".

For the lateral adjustment, move the lh low beam about .25 turn to the rh side of thngs; move the rh low beam about .5 turns to the rh side of things. Better to see signs and things with that way. As for the vertical adjustment, seek "level" or just a bit downward, too.

As you approach vehicles in front of you at a red light or stop sign, ALSO ensure that low beams are generally below the level of their outside mirrors.

For good measure, do those final adjustments with a full tank of fuel, too.

As an awareness issue . . . although you might like the brightness and "color" of the lights as you look BEHIND them, in cases of general darkness, those headlights can cause issues with over-40 drivers who are beginning to have issues in what I term "high contrast lighting situations". Namely, a very intense light against a dark background. By observation, such headlights on low beam are worse in this respect than an old reflector-beam headlight on high beam as it approaches you. The classic advice of looking at the shoulder of the road until the bright-lighter passes does not really work, especially on seldom illuminated rural roadways, from my experiences.

Enjoy responsibly,
CBODY67
Alright, did what you suggested. Still have to check out where its at! Thank you, you always provide very good and informative feedback!

Back