Original Headlights?

MJFUR

Reaction score
69 Chrysler 300, headlights are dim, going to replace. If what I have are still original bulbs I'll save them. I can post pics if needed.

Low Beams marked - General Electric, Sealed Beam, 2
High Beams marked - Wagner Halogen, 1C1 or ICI (I presume these are most likely replacements.)

Thx

@MJFUR

The halogens for sure are not correct / original.

I'm no expert, but I would be surprised if there was a significant difference between the 4 headlight system on your 300 and other Chrysler products of the time, but I could be wrong. Assuming I'm right, check out discussions on some other Mopar sites as well regarding correct original headlights. Sites like For B Bodies Only. I have seen chats on this topic, see an example link below (these would be for 1970 and not 1969, but good chance they are the same).

I think correct suppliers were either GE or Westinghouse, depending. Also, there were 'wide' and 'narrow' flute types. I believe your correct bulbs would have wide flutes (spacing in the prisms cast in the lenses) vs narrow flutes, which came out sometime later.

Maybe this helps. Someone correct me.

NOS 1970-71 Challenger 1971 Cuda GE Headlights Corrrct Early Style in Parts / Misc For Sale

@MJFUR

One more thing, if you are serious about brightening your headlights and helping improve a weak spot in Mopars of this era, look into installing headlight relays, so headlight voltage increases and headlight current goes more directly from the battery and alternator with less electrical resistance than going into and out of the dashboard. You should be able to search and learn more about this beneficial (in my opinion) upgrade. Jim

69 Chrysler 300, headlights are dim, going to replace. If what I have are still original bulbs I'll save them. I can post pics if needed.

Low Beams marked - General Electric, Sealed Beam, 2
High Beams marked - Wagner Halogen, 1C1 or ICI (I presume these are most likely replacements.)

Thx

Wagner would be totally AFTER MARKET on that car. You will need to look at some more numbers and the old Mopar Parts Catalogue to see exactly WHAT they used for headlights for that year and model.

I have an EXCELLENT STASH of NOS Westinghouse 400x low and a few high beam lamps. I run relays to get plenty current at optimal voltage to them. Any suggestion I EVER POLLUTE my rides with LED crap gets categorically flushed. Stick with the GOOD OLD PAR 400x lamps and use relays, and you will have all the illumination you need.

Back