Headlight doors.

carguy300

Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is a way to manually open headlight doors on my 68 300?, i had a 69 about 10 years ago and I could with knob on bottom of motor. Cant seem to find away on my 68.

No knob, but the armature does protrude at the bottom-if not seized -you should be able to spin that to operate

IMG_0235.jpeg

Just climbed under to ck headlight motor. No knob to turn, just a stem that wont turn by hand. Dont have dash in yet so cant power it up. Any ideas?

IMG_2786.jpeg

IMG_2787.jpeg

IMG_2785.jpeg

The knob on your motor has fallen off the shaft . The most common issue with these is Water would get inside the motor and seize it up . Try to get a pair of vice grips on the shaft and try to turn it that way . If you can’t move it the motor is most likely seized and it will have to be removed and repaired/replaced . The second common issue is the plastic gears break or strip , if the shaft turns with the vice grips and the doors don’t move your gears are broken and you have to remove the motor . If the motor moves with the vice grips and the doors move with it then the problem may be more wiring related. In any case start with vice grips and go from there .

After getting underneath and closer inspection, I could actually turn the knob with my fingers. Ive got my alt rebuilt by a rebuilder in denton tx. Got to pick it monday. Got new regulator and hoses, water pump, t/stat and fuel tank grommet. Getting closer to trying to fire this dumplin up. Keeping fingers crossed!, it has sat several years. Thanks for all the info and help again!

IMG_2806.jpeg

Back