Help HP exhaust manifold and brake booster fit

Stormrider

Reaction score
I have existing HP manifolds on a 383, I would like to put on a rebuilt C body 65 – 68 brake booster.

Looking at it seems like a tight fit, but I have not taken it apart yet, have any of you done this? And if so is there any concern for how close the manifold would be to the booster?

1968 Sport Fury Conv 383

Attached some pics

Thanks

John

Existing setup Hp manifold and smaller Booster.jpg

Brake Booster c body 65-68.jpg

HP Manifold drivers side 2 .jpg

HP Manifold drivers side.jpg

I believe the booster you have on there now is actually wider than the booster you wish to install. I think you've got the single diaphragm disc booster for a 71 and up installed now, yes? If so, the Bendix dual diaphragm one is narrower and I predict it will fit just fine. It will still be tight, but should be OK.

I converted to a dual diaphragm brake booster on a 69 Monaco 440 with the HP manifolds. No fitment issues. I think I had to adjust the length of the pedal rod at top of brake pedal. Also, I had to lengthen the brake lines from master cylinder to brake valve because of moving the master cylinder forward.

Thanks Ross,
I think it is a 71 E body booster, I was caught up with the Bendix being about 2 inches longer and forgot to consider the diameter,
the 71 looks to be about 10 1/2 inches + so I should gain about 3/4 inch on the diameter with the 9 inch Bendix, I feel better about taking apart now. Thanks

The B-Body booster is a smaller unit that what is normally on a C-Body, 8" vs 9" booster. It will stop the car but with less braking action. Correct Bendix dual diaphragm booster is '68-'70 C-Body application. Some '71 C-Bodies also used this booster. Most B-Body exhausts have a different header pipe location or dump flange angle than a C-Body due to the location of the steering gear.

Dave

Last edited:
Thanks Dave,
True the 9 inch booster I have was not designed to fit with the B body HP manifold, the clearance looks to be tighter, then that with the 8in B bodies, I think it will fit but not sure if it will have enough space with regards to heat from the manifold. I 'm looking to see if anyone else has done it. Looks like 1970FuryConv has done it on a 1969 with a 440 but i'm not sure if he had C or B body HP manifolds and the 1969 Monaco is a bit bigger.

Back