Help me understand the Formal market. Please!

I've said that and and I still say if anybody had to have cash in hand by the end of the week, 35-hundred would be a pure miracle for even the best Formal.

That's the first time I've read that " need cash by the end of the week " qualifier ... not saying that's not a thing

That's the first time I've read that " need cash by the end of the week " qualifier ... not saying that's not a thing
I use that qualfier as a true assessment of a car's worth. Not a year of dicking around with Craigslist morons, eBay deadbeats, and other assorted idiots and psychos on the internet and still only getting half of what you were asking.

What is the true liquidity of this asset. Just like a diamond ring or renaissance painting.

I use that qualfier as a true assessment of a car's worth. Not a year of dicking around with Craigslist morons, eBay deadbeats, and other assorted idiots and psychos on the internet and still only getting half of what you were asking.

What is the true liquidity of this asset. Just like a diamond ring or renaissance painting.

I'd say that's a pretty good test for some things and in some situations but it would have to be taken with a grain of salt for classic cars.

I'd think it's a bad one for things not commonly available, in constant demand, or readily available, because of course guy with the actual cash may not even be aware of the thing that's for sale. So this method will always way way undervalue it ... unless it's something commonly available like maybe a Krugerrand or diamond or something commonly available and with high demand.

To put it in car, or specifically Mopar, terms a 69.5 Six BBL RR would probably take a massive hit on actual sale value also unless the right guy was actually aware the car was for sale (or the guy had a buddy that always said if you sell it tell me) if it had to be gone by the end of the week

So by nature classic cars are never a good thing to judge by liquidity standards. Sure things happen and you are going to get hammered if you have to sell or really don't care and want to sell quick i.e. a death of the owner and the family really wants it gone.

For WIW... highest price I have actually seen was $5750 for a 30k mile triple black w/leather 1974 Imperial... last year and the car had (last minute announcement stuff) no brakes, cruddy fuel system and unable to start. Prior to bidding it was listed as "running from an IV". Lots of pics and looked very clean and complete... sold by the woman with the warehouse full of chevys auction... I think her outfit is crap, so I don't feel like posting her name.

The auction was well attended and had been marketed for months... Some of the more valuable older stuff went for fair prices (I thought), the Imperial went below my predetermined limit ($6k) but with the last minute disclosures I hesitated and in retrospect am glad I didn't make my life that difficult.

The idiot also sold a distributor machine for $5 without allowing online bidding or cataloging the item... I was pissed...

Until you start seeing Formal's selling for ridiculous prices at B-J and Mecum.....those asking prices will remain a pipe dream. Not saying that they could some day....but I doubt it.
I think the demographic who currently loves our cars enough to keep/save them is very small... on the other hand, one really good tv or movie appearance is enough to change the tide... maybe Clint shoulda done "Gran Fury" instead...

on the other hand, one really good tv or movie appearance is enough to change the tide... maybe Clint shoulda done "Gran Fury" instead...

Hey, wait a minute here now... :rolleyes: lol

Might want to be carefull what you wish for.. You know how hard it is to come by a '74 dodge sedan now a days? Or even a non royal '75?

In early 2014 you could nab a solid C slab for 2-3 grand, a fuselage for about the same...

fixed it for ya...:D

newport 8-9-15.jpg

Stan, the phrase "it's worth whatever somebody is willing to pay for it TODAY" comes to mind.

for insurance purposes, it's worth 3x what you think it is. for COD purposes, it's worth whatever dead Presidents you are begrudgingly accepting at that particular time in space.

two_cents.jpg

Stan, the phrase "it's worth whatever somebody is willing to pay for it TODAY" comes to mind.

for insurance purposes, it's worth 3x what you think it is. for COD purposes, it's worth whatever dead Presidents you are begrudgingly accepting at that particular time in space.

View attachment 91934
Bingo.

And you therein helped me to understand where I'm going wrong.
Everything I buy I plan on keeping forever.
And everything I have sold is because of something I didn't plan on...

What's the definition of insane?

The thing for me is, why should we question such high prices for these beautiful cars where if they were another car, say an E Body, we would be wondering why the pricing is so low? A '75 GM Convertible, any make, averages 17 grand in the asking prices. Why should these beautiful Mopars get any less?

The only full size GM convertible in 1975 would have been the Caprice Classic and Eldorado. They will go for that money in grade 2 condition and for the general public (be that as it may) they are more desirable. The other two GM convertibles were the mid size Delta 88 and Le Sabre which don't go that high. Nonetheless GM's rep wasn't in the dirt in regards to quality just yet like Chrysler. Theirs tanked when they changed over everything to FWD.

What???
images

As much as I keep my ear as close to the ground as humanly possible, over all these years I cannot grasp WTF is going on with these cars.

Gotta think of these guys more as salesmen first and car guys a distant second. Next they are trying to create the illusion of desire, value and exclusivity. That is what all marketing people try to do in order to sell their product. Apple builds excitement way before they release and when they do the lines are already around the doors several nights before. These guys are no different only on a smaller scale except that the masses believe Apple while for these salesmen only a few do. Besides they need to maximize their return before the day when the cars tank in value.

Gotta think of these guys more as salesmen first and car guys a distant second. Next they are trying to create the illusion of desire, value and exclusivity. That is what all marketing people try to do in order to sell their product. Apple builds excitement way before they release and when they do the lines are already around the doors several nights before. These guys are no different only on a smaller scale except that the masses believe Apple while for these salesmen only a few do. Besides they need to maximize their return before the day when the cars tank in value.
You got me wanting to say something about Elon Musk. That's exactly what he does only he is building a house of cards.
Tesla vehicles, battery manufacturing, train tubes, space-x....
It's all gonna come crashing down. Bigger than anything the banks did when they failed.

Everything I buy I plan on keeping forever.

Of course. Is there any other way???

DSC04433.JPG

Well, until I run out of room in my suburban oasis. I reckon I could get at least 2 more cars on my property.

and IF I do get another MoPar, at least one of them WILL have power vent windows...or that's a deal breaker

:lol:

I think we need to address the real issue here.....,..

WHEN DID THE MARKET VALUE OF 75-79 CORDOBA's BECOME $7000-$14000??? I MEAN C'MON PEOPLE SHHEEEEESH!!!

Oh and BTW Northern Cars are climbing....this is for Jeff..another Red Deer Imperial to go with the 5th wheeler
image.jpeg

Hey, wait a minute here now... :rolleyes: lol

Might want to be carefull what you wish for.. You know how hard it is to come by a '74 dodge sedan now a days? Or even a non royal '75?
Well "New Yorker Brougham" didn't match quite as well... but you guys already have your movie connection... and I would hate to see one in a Mad Max reboot or a FF movie...
Oh and BTW Northern Cars are climbing....this is for Jeff..another Red Deer Imperial to go with the 5th wheeler
View attachment 91937
Nice...

So let's see if I have this exchange rate thing right... $6k Canadian = $2500 US?

Check is in the mail... I'm low on cash since my Carlisle adventures, but I still have lots of checks...

I don't fully understand how you folks have so many of these around... You must be to far from civilization for it to be worth exporting them all to china as scrap metal...:D

The only full size GM convertible in 1975 would have been the Caprice Classic and Eldorado. They will go for that money in grade 2 condition and for the general public (be that as it may) they are more desirable. The other two GM convertibles were the mid size Delta 88 and Le Sabre which don't go that high. Nonetheless GM's rep wasn't in the dirt in regards to quality just yet like Chrysler. Theirs tanked when they changed over everything to FWD.
Pontiac still had a large ragtop in '75, and they are regularly advertised at over 15 grand - I peruse every issue of Hemmings Motor News and see them every month.

I'm not following your comment about quality and FWD cars. ??? The last of the large Mopar ragtops were 1970, and they were/are good cars. Yet, people will pay twice as much for a GM ragtop. Why is that? Because of the quality of the FWD cars? Sorry, but that's nonsense.

Yet, people will pay twice as much for a GM ragtop. Why is that?
We've discussed that a gazillion times. Because people are clueless sheep that follow the path of least resistance when appealed to using the lowest common denominator.

Back