Help with new convertible top

Daleh42

Reaction score
I've recently purchased a restored 67 Sport Fury which had a new top installed at the time of restoration in 2001. While the top is in excellent condition the P.O. pointed out that there is an opening of about 4" on each side of the top just aft of where it wraps around and is secured to the top main arm mechanism. The shop installing the new top told him this couldn't be sealed as it would be ripped off when the top was cycled down.

I have put some gorilla tape on the fabric/inside of the body which partially separated when I cycled the top but was by myself at the time so unable to tell if there was undue stress on the top fabric at the point in question,

I'm 99% ready to call BS on this but thought I would throw it out to the forum. I can't believe a vehicle would be deigned to have an opening on each side of the fabric that allows rain or wash water into the top well & trunk.

Apart from that, loving the car.

Something is wrong, I've owned a few convertibles and all were car wash watertight.

I'm assuming that your referring to the area just rearward of the quarter glass at the boot trim. If not, then the following info does not apply.

A couple of months ago I swapped a good top from a parts car to my car which had been vandalized a few years back. I moved the entire top, mechanism, pump, and lines as one unit.

Both tops were secured to the outside of the deck under the trim for the boot up to the second snap back from the quarter glass. At that point the tops were split/cut and the rest was secured to the quarter panel/wheelhouse with a fabric extension and two screws. The top fabric was not connected to the boot trim at all as this point on either car.

This didn't make much sense to me at the time until I cycled the top to see that this is a major stress point in the fabric when the top is down. In fact the good top had a small tear starting at this point on the driver's side. I used a Tear-Aid kit on the outside and inside as well which has stopped the tear from growing.

There has to be a good amount of space allowed for the mechanism to retract into the quarter area. So the fabric anchoring has to change toward the front to accommodate the mechanism. My assumption is that there must be an exact sweet spot for tension at this connection. Too tight and it tears, too loose and it will sag/wrinkle.

After reading through the FSM, I learned that proper mechanism alignment and operation are crucial for proper top fitment. There are a lot of adjustments to go through. The FSM was pretty detailed as far as this was concerned.

These are pics of the top at the forward quarter area. You can see the change in connection just behind the second snap:

20150718_115430.jpg

20150718_115515.jpg

Hope the input is accurate to your inquiry.

John

20150718_115430.jpg

20150718_115515.jpg

John, that's exactly the situation, thank you for your comments. I will reread the FSM and play with the flap in question until I find that "sweet spot" It just didn't make sense that there would be an open spot.

Dale

My 65 Fury has the exact same situation. I wanted to get that part figured out before I replaced the top myself. I had heard that this particular area was a sore spot for these cars.

I'm hoping to get out to the car in the next couple of days, if I find a solution I'll take pictures and post those, with measurements if possible.

Dale

Back