Hemi 345 or 392 crate engine

Ther have been a couple of threads in here on doing that. There was a thread about a '68 Fury III fasttop that was Gen III-ized. Got the radiator (and mounging horseshe) from a late model Charger from the salvage yard and mounted it to the core support where the normal radiator went. Then had to find a way to put a surge tank on it so coolant could be added. Don't recall which engine management system he used, though. When they came out with the first-gen Gen III, Mopar Perf had an intake manifold and way to do the ignition for those motors, which was even neater.

There was a way to use the ZF trans, using pressure switched to run the electronic valve body rather than a computer, too.

You might look at www.Holley.com, as they seem to have lots of up-fit kits for Gen IIIs in non-C-body cars, some of which might crossover into C-body land.

CBODY67

Interesting. Thanks for the replies.

I'm coming up on needing a new car and I was just thinking, well, why don't I just make my old, old car better than it is....

Interesting. Thanks for the replies.I'm coming up on needing a new car and I was just thinking, well, why don't I just make my old, old car better than it is....
Valid concern. One reason the newer cars accelerate so well and get great fuel economy is due to the ZF trans behind them. Low gear is about 4.80 with 8th being about .60, or something like that. Then the EFI system which helps things, too.

Herb tells it like it is. He put a G3 hemi in his 1961 Chrysler 300. He says it’s for drivability and mileage but the stock long ram 413 engine will run away from this modern hemi.

New Hemi Engine Swaps over 1700 threads here. I have been asking my questions over there.If I was going to spend on a crate setup up I would go all the way with a 6.4/392 BGE. The Holley engine mounts apparently set the engine forward a couple of inches which is advantageous. IMHO the 8HP70 is the only way to go. I just picked one up from a 2014 Ram with 78,000 miles shipped to my door for $625. This guy in Washington is the one to talk to about controlling the 8 speed....Sound German Automotive

Last edited:
Dad has done them in a few cars. His 61 300G which has 100k miles on it now (all on the 5.7 platform), 70 cuda, 61 plymouth and 60 fury wagon.

There was a way to use the ZF trans, using pressure switched to run the electronic valve body rather than a computer, too.

CBODY67
@CBODY67
Can you find a link to that? The A518 was well documented that LU and OD could be controlled by some switches, but I'd be highly skeptical that any trans built in the last 20 years could.
I worked as an OEM transmission test engineer from 2005-2012. The ones I worked on used PWM to modulate most of the solenoids, and doing and simple on/off would give terrible shift quality and burn up solenoids.

Back