hemi or not to hemi

The 5.7 with a 3spd trans in a heavy car won't be all you're hoping for.
You need the 5 or 8 spd.

Hey everyone ,thanks for all your input . I'm leaning toward keeping the 727 which is in great condition . So more than likely it wont be a big block. When the decision is made i'll let you know, and bring you along for the ride.

Easiest & least expensive route would to build the existing 360. That would get you cruising around town and on the highway just fine. You would also be able to use the current 727 trans. To do a big block swap you would need a big block 727 plus a big block K frame. Years ago I had a '72 Gran Coupe with a 360 2 barrel set up and it ran just fine with plenty of power. It all depends on what you want and how much you want to spend. You gotta love those hideaway headlights, such a cool looking front end.
C-bodies do not have a k-frame.
V8 stub frames are the same.

Keep it old school. These new Gen III Hemi's in everything older is getting as bad as LS's in everything. Boring......

I may be in the minority here, but I like the look of it in the first photo better.

Whether new Hemi, bigblock or building a 360/408 -
How much money do you have to spend on all of it?
Engine swaps, even if you have a complete donor, are a great arena for cost overruns.

Hey everyone ,thanks for all your input . I'm leaning toward keeping the 727 which is in great condition . So more than likely it wont be a big block. When the decision is made i'll let you know, and bring you along for the ride.
Maybe use a Gear Vender O.D behind the Gen III n 727 ???

The 5.7 with a 3spd trans in a heavy car won't be all you're hoping for.
You need the 5 or 8 spd.
So is a 300C and they run a 2.82 rear gear.

To be fair the NAG1 trans has a 3.59 1st gear for a starting line ratio of 10ish:1.

With a 727 you would have to run a 4.10 to be equivalent, no bueno on the freeway.

A 518/46RH will give you a similar 10:1 overall 1st and a 2.829 overall in OD compared to the NAG1 at 2.34 in OD.

The A500 904 equivalent has a 2.74 1st gear so you could do the above with a 3.73 and gain some freeway speed in OD with a 2.57:1 overall ratio.

The 727 with a 3.23 would probably feel similar to a 360 2 barrel with 2.76 at a stop light but once under way I think the 5.7 blows the stock LA into the weeds.

Kevin

Have you thought about 5.9 magnum? I’ve checked into it a bit and it seems pretty easy. Most vehicle donors have a stand alone harness to run the engine with only a handful of connections. If you don’t want to mess with efi, a carb’d truck 5.9 is what Mopar performance sold as their 300 hp crate engine. Just another thing to think about. I feel the modern hemi stuff is over priced.

For a magnum swapped C, see post #8 by Polaraco in the 69-73 c body picture thread.
Travis..

Last edited:
It's a shame you didn't grab the trans, wiring harness and computer from the donor you salvaged the gen III Hemi from, then the conversion would be easy peasy. Then all you would need to fab would be motor mounts and trans crossover. That modern engine won't return good mileage behind a 727 or feel as nice.

A gen III Hemi conversion is the most expensive route by far, but it will yield the best results. Real good power, good mileage (with the matching trans of course) and even without catalytic converters, will still burn cleaner than a stroker small block or big block.

Cost wise, it's a toss up between stroking the 360 or converting it to big block power. The stroker will need overhauling the 727 to handle the increased output. Big block will need a trans, plus accessory brackets, mounts, oil pan, etc. Stroker is by far the easiest route with minimal mods, you can reuse almost everything you have on hand. It's the cost of the motor's bottom end and then beefing up the trans to handle it that costs the most.

In any event, I recommend either solid or eurothane motor mounts to keep it all in place. And don't forget the U-joints, a posi or Sure Grip rear end fortification isn't a bad idea either.

But at the end of the day, it is YOUR car and YOUR money, do what you want.

Nice car, she's a real looker.

Back