Should I adjust trans

gary68plyfury

Reaction score
Hey All,
When taking off fast, when the trans shifts into 2nd gear, the engine RPMs increase but that car doesn't seem to accelerate that much. Feels like the trans is slipping.
I'm thinking of adjusting the trans and the youtube videos make it look easy. Should i try it? Of course, I'd be under the car doing this work.

Car is a 68 Fury with 383 and 727 trans, as far as I know they both are original. Bought the car in March and completely drained the trans and torque converter. Right now, it's a little overfilled but not too much.
Under normal and easy driving, the trans shifts smoothly!

Thanks
Gary

Hey All,
When taking off fast, when the trans shifts into 2nd gear, the engine RPMs increase but that car doesn't seem to accelerate that much. Feels like the trans is slipping.
I'm thinking of adjusting the trans and the youtube videos make it look easy. Should i try it? Of course, I'd be under the car doing this work.

Car is a 68 Fury with 383 and 727 trans, as far as I know they both are original. Bought the car in March and completely drained the trans and torque converter. Right now, it's a little overfilled but not too much.

Thanks
Gary
Since you are going to have to remove the transmission pan to adjust the bands, replace the fluid and filter while you are at it. Band adjustment is straight forward. If you do not already have one, download the FSM at www.mymopar.com. Manuals are a free download. If there is a lot of debris in the transmission pan, it is probably toast but you might get some additional life out of via the band adjustment.

Dave

It sounds like maybe the shift pressure might need adjusting in addition to what was suggested above? Just a thought.

Since you are going to have to remove the transmission pan to adjust the bands, replace the fluid and filter while you are at it. Band adjustment is straight forward. If you do not already have one, download the FSM at www.mymopar.com. Manuals are a free download. If there is a lot of debris in the transmission pan, it is probably toast but you might get some additional life out of via the band adjustment.

Dave
I changed the oil n filter back in April and looked good. I’ll do it again if I drop the pan.
I have the manual.

Hey All,

Thanks
Gary
Has any non-professional adjusted the bands? If you have, how did it go? Would you do it again or is it just a pain in the rear?

Has any non-professional adjusted the bands? If you have, how did it go? Would you do it again or is it just a pain in the rear?
It's pretty easy. There's probably some videos on YouTube, but the FSM gives a good procedure.

Don't get your hopes up as this will be the cure though...

One thing to ask is if the throttle linkage to the trans (incorrectly called "kickdown") adjusted right?

It's pretty easy. There's probably some videos on YouTube, but the FSM gives a good procedure.

Don't get your hopes up as this will be the cure though...

One thing to ask is if the throttle linkage to the trans (incorrectly called "kickdown") adjusted right?
Oh!! The kickdown cable!! I’ve heard about it but don’t know a thing about it. Thanks, I’ll read about.
I’m hoping the trans adjustment isn’t too difficult and it’s free. I have no if it’s ever been done so I might as well do it.
Thanks for your time n helping

Oh!! The kickdown cable!! I’ve heard about it but don’t know a thing about it. Thanks, I’ll read about.
I’m hoping the trans adjustment isn’t too difficult and it’s free. I have no if it’s ever been done so I might as well do it.
Thanks for your time n helping
That's really the first thing you should look at. With it adjusted incorrectly, or missing, it can cause the symptoms you are having. With it missing, it can and will destroy the trans.

Although, unless someone has changed it, it's not a cable.

What is the correct- proper way to adjust the linkage that hooks to carb?
Have someone floor the car from inside. Not trying to mash the pedal through the firewall just wot. Adjust it so it is all the way back to the end of the travel.
For the bands. In neutral rear wheels off the ground, tighten adjusters till driveshaft stops turning. Each one will make driveshaft stop in a different direction. Then loosen each one about a turn. Driveshaft should turn after you loosen the adjuster, if not you tighten adjuster too tight, try again. All the FSM inch pound and 2 and whatever turns crap is for secretary transmissions.

Sounds easy enough! Thanks
That is the quick way and it should work, although I suggest looking at the FSM and you'll see how to put a pin in the linkage (assuming you don't have the one piece linkage) and adjust the link that goes down to the trans. That gets the geometry of the linkage right so it moves correctly.

Not rocket surgery...

The second gear band for my 727 transmissions has always been on the outside of the case.
I've purchased several Torqflite cars that had no second gear, and the problem was a loose second gear band adjustment.

My trans chattered going into reverse so I took a crack at adjusting the bands and even played with the pressure. It didn't resolve the issue completely but adding Lucas trans additive did. A few thousand miles later it's been good. There's a 125k on it...

Back