Hemi's, NASCAR & C bodies

C Body Bob

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
image.jpg
Ok, been chatting with some NASCAR experts & learned something. We all know about Nascars ban on Hemi's in 1965 & Petty & Pearson did some drag racing as a result. Well I have been told that NASCAR allowed B body Hemi's to compete after July 1965 if they destroked to 404 cubes. And 426 Hemi's where allowed in Dodge & Plymouth C bodies. Here is #88 Buddy Baker & #14 Curtis Turner's Plymouth Fury's raced in 1965. Good history info don't you think
image.jpg

That's some very interesting information there Bob, hey is it time to build a NASCAR C-body tribute car? Hint hint.

I bet it weighs 2,000 lbs less than one off the showroom floor. LOL!

86Baker1962ref-vi.jpg
1961-Plymouth-Richard-Petty.jpg
Buck and Buddy Baker 1962.jpg
1961-Chrysler-Buck-Baker.jpg
There were C Bodies running NASCAR in the early 60's. Buck Baker's '61 and '62 Chrysler 300's come to mind, there may also have been some 300's in the late 50's also, and I mean other than the '55 - '56 300's that ruled the tracks in those years with the Mercury Outboard sponsorship (a team owned by Wisconsin native Karl Kiekhafer),but I'm not positive. What body would Petty's '61 Plymouth be, a B Body?

Last edited:
View attachment 67827 View attachment 67828 View attachment 67829 View attachment 67830 There were C Bodies running NASCAR in the early 60's. Buck Baker's '61 and '62 Chrysler 300's come to mind, there may also have been some 300's in the late 50's also, and I mean other than the '55 - '56 300's that ruled the tracks in those years with the Mercury Outboard sponsorship (a team owned by Wisconsin native Karl Kiekhafer),but I'm not positive. What body would Petty's '61 Plymouth be, a B Body?
The first C body was made in 1965, if I'm not mistaken.

I don't know how many times we keep repeating this over and over, but... :BangHead:
I think it kinda like the LA engine being called the A engine. Other words sometimes the people who know better still do it so those who don't easily Misunderstand. Same with posi vs sure grip

oh... I see now, posted on the wrong thread! Imagine my shock and horror when I discovered my unforgivable mistake, the immense embarrassment, and the mind wrenching disbelief by fellow C-Body worshippers!!!!!! Oh, Pleeease forgive me ....... Yeah, whatever.

Last edited:
Back