Hi!

71grancoupe

Reaction score
71gc.jpg

Hey all, new guy here. I have a '71 Fury and need help with front shock install. They look like they should go straight up into the shock tower via the bottom of the lower control arm but they don't fit through the space in through the arm where the bottom of the shocks bolt in. I removed the old shocks by driving them straight down and out with a rod and mallet. Thought the new install would be reversed and easy. What's the secret?

Thanks in advance! -Doug

71gc.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Doug, welcome to the forum and we would love to see pics of your car. As for the shock problem, are they gas shocks? If so you will need to compress them first before sliding them into position from below. Yes it is the reverse of removing them.

Welcome aboard.

I recently went through the shock problem, here is my solution.
2014-11-01_002.jpg

Even then it was a tight fit, it probably would have been fine if it didn't expant that 1/2 inch first.

Alan

Thanks everyone!

Yes, I tie-strapped them to fully compressed position. I assume that they do not go straight up and in but fanagled in at an angle? Would have been SO easy straight up!

The bottom is held closest to the bottom ball joint as you slip the top in to the hole, work it in that way, helps to turn the steering to one lock as well.

Welcome! Post some more pics of your Fury...it's beautiful!

The shocks go in at an angle, from the front of the control arm and "up in". Jack up the front end to drop the arms to their max. It'll still be a tight fit but they'll go in. I had to use bailing wire to hold my shocks compressed, they were they KYB gas-a-just. It was a b*tch!

They are gas Monroes -- OESpectrums -- nothing fancy. I paid less for a set of Monroe Max-Airs for the rear than the pair for up front!

just outa curiousity whats the color code for the car..welcome to the site

Welcome from 2 hours south of the cities! That's a nice ride you got there, will you be making Mopars in the Park at the end of May?

Back